IGNORED

more:: sandblasting Q's

1moeZ

Hi Rolf,

I tried aluminum oxide, glass bead and like I said regular old sand. I had about the same results for all of them except the glass bead is much cleaner as far as dust goes. I didn't have any problems warping the metal because I was working at moderate pressure. But I didn't see any real benefit of the bead or aluminum oxide over the sand besides the dust problem.

Not sure what you mean by quartz sand - as I understand it, sand is basically glass with lots of impurities, and quartz is crystallized glass. NOt sure if the sand I had is considered quartz sand or not - the package just said "Play Sand". HOpe this helps!

Michael

mperdue,

thank you for your great response. Under "Quartz Sand" we understand a very fine sand that we use for instance to fill the small gaps between flagstones in the garden, also to minimize weeds growin' there. It's not expensive. I will try it in spring and look how much dust I will have when sandblasting. At the moment it is very cold and snowy outside.

Rolf

"...this car is just for my pleasure to build up for a street/race use i'm only 21 so i think i have all the time i need"

1moeZ,

I bought my '71 when I was 21 also. That was in '93. I just finished it this past June. I did all the work myself except for the frame repair. My rust wasn't near as bad as yours but I was going to school at the time also.

Just keep a time frame in mind on this project. Set yourself a REALALISTIC time goal. And do your best to stick to it.

Who doens't know Mad MIke? Well, at least anyone who's been to a ZCOT meeting would know him - he's pretty hard to miss. Don't really know him personally but since I plan on joining the club soon I'll probably get to know all of these guys better.

thanks for the encouragement kmack! :) i found another shell i could use for a good price but it looks like from wht the guy told me and the pics he sent me it got hit a few times i'm gonan take a look at the car this weekend and see if hte body is straight or not and if hte damage is only cosmetic, looks like i'll be using hte otehr car as a parts car well atleast i'll also have a car to practice stuff on :) i.e welding sandblasting etc... :)

True blue QUARTZ sand is basically Silica Sand. (AFAIK).

If you use it to sand blast with, although it is harder and it will cut through paint etc, there is a distinct possibility that you will fragment the crystal, as it is a crystal. The problem is that if it fractures it into tiny particles that can become airborne, they may be inhaled. Although a few exposures may not cause the same problem, don't forget that there is a strong warning regarding SILICOSIS, i.e. the inhalation of silicate particles.

Whenever you do sanding with a fracturable substance, make sure you wear some sort of dust mask. You only have one pair of lungs.

2¢

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,the only problem with useing commen sand is that when it explodes and truns to dust it realises silicone,wich can couse silicosis if breathed for to long so if you use this please wear good breathing gear,In austraila its been band for years to use in the industry for years and carrys a heave fine

Looking at the pics, this car is not that bad. Boy, you guys get all tweaked out at the first signs of rust!!

My only head scratcher is the edge where the windshield meets the roof. That's it. If you have the tools you are in no means looking in the four thousand dollar range to fix this car. Put the pipe down!

the floors in this car are better than most Z's I have repaired, the dogleg is merely some creative sheetmetal work and the patch is available from MSA and VB, rockers are available, etc, etc. I;d like to see pics of the rad support, battery tray, and rear deck.

Stop sending these things to the boneyard at the first signs of rust in search of rust free shells. Roll your sleeves up and get to work. these are salvagable.

i'll get some more decent pics there's more rust than what i originally posted, i'vae already take the tar mat off the trans tunnel most of it anyway, but from the last i looked at the car the whole floor might aswell get replaced and so should the frame rails and floor support