IGNORED

POR-20 on stock manifold

GreenZZZ

I blasted, painted, cured my exhaust manifold using POR-20 high temp paint. This paint takes a while to stir after you open the can. Its thick unlike POR-15 which is thin like water. The color is so similar to the sandblasted manifold it is kind of tough to find painted/unpainted parts of the metal, the color is that good.

Waited till the wife left the house this AM and cooked the paint to cure it for 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Should have taken the plastic coated coat hanger off the manifold prior to cooking :stupid: No biggie, I ran the oven clean cycle to cover up the evidence and reported the housework good deed! Seems like a pretty decent surface.

Geeeesh.... OK, tip to you guys: Open a few drawers. Somewhere in one of them, you'll find some aluminum foil. Put that underneath whatever you put in the oven. Throw the foil away when you're done. Then run the oven for a while to burn off any fumes (maybe 30 min?). Open the door to let it air out when it cools.

This isn't to say your wife won't mind, but she probably won't fume quite as much about it. That said, my partner doesn't have any problem with my baking an occasional part. Of course she MIGHT if I stuffed an entire exhaust manifold in the oven! ;)

Eventually I want to have an oven for just such things in the garage. I'll try my hand at powder coating then. :)

Geeeesh.... OK, tip to you guys: Open a few drawers. Somewhere in one of them, you'll find some aluminum foil. Put that underneath whatever you put in the oven. Throw the foil away when you're done. Then run the oven for a while to burn off any fumes (maybe 30 min?). Open the door to let it air out when it cools.

Sometimes the info on this site is way over my head, I mean really, what was that first part again? Drawers? Wha???

If the thanksgiving turkey taste like POR-20 your wife gonna kill you. LOL

Hopefully it will be like any other year...

Pappy - "If you ain't winning, your losing"

Drinking Buddy - "Shake-n-bake that manifold!"

'Lil GreenZZZ - "Daddy, you made that grace your bitch!"

• 2 months later...

I do my own powdercoating and bought a used Jennair oven only for $125.00.

post-13985-14150817646173_thumb.jpg

It works for most car parts, although I can't do a L6 cam cover, but I was able to do most of the front suspension.

post-13985-14150817645434_thumb.jpg

I use a coating system from Harbor Freight that uses a compressor, although Sears offers one that does not use a compressor and does a decent job.

I would not suggest using the house oven for this, as there is a residue that coats the inside of the oven over time. Even when empty, during the pre-heat phase, there is a pretty strong odor.

I do my own powdercoating and bought a used Jennair oven only for $125.00.

Funny, my oven is the same, but a double oven. I had to rebuild the circuit boards for the oven twice! Once time it was dried out capacitors, the other time it was cracked solder joints near the transformer. Stunning results on the powder coating!