IGNORED

Pull motor with or without transmission?

siteunseen

We always set the motor/trans on an old tire to keep the oil pan from getting mushed, then remove the tranny,clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. You can leave them on, but as long as the motor is out it's a good time for new clutch parts. Not too sure if I understand your last setance...raise the front of the motor/trans to take them out. You will need an adjustable load leveler on your hoist.

Cheers, Mike

Ok great I've got a plan now. I'll be sure and have a tire to lower the unit on as I am planning on replacing the clutch and pressure plate. What I was thinking but unable to type was to keep the rear of my car up on the jack stands and put the front tires on to lower the front and make room for the front legs of the hoist to get under the car without hitting those jacks. It's coming out this weekend (sounds like a gay motor, although there's nothing wrong with that!) no matter what. I'm feeling pretty confident now. Thanks everybody. Cliff

Edited by siteunseen

Cliff, One thing I forgot was to watch very carefully the plastic vent on the tranny as you start to get the motor/trans out. It likes to be ripped off by speedo cables, brake lines, misc. wires, Etc.

Good luck&have fun,

Mike

Well as bad as I hate to say it, I've had to change my coming out party from not now to when I am over this horrible head cold I woke up with Saturday morning. I was going to try Jeff G's recommendation of the ratchet straps for adjustment. But after seeing a picture of the load leveler I think I've seen one of those in someone's garage (remembering where will be the hard part) that I could borrow. That says it's designed for 1 man engine pull and that's what I am shooting for. If I can't find one I still have the 2" wide yellow ratchet straps already to go. That thing looks like a tool I would love to have and could probably talk my Dad into going in halves with me to buy one. Man I wish we had a Harbor Freight in my city, closet one is Birmingham, couple hours round trip but I could use some windshield time. Thanks for posting that picture.

Load levelers are great, but they eat up a LOT of height. That's why I don't use one. I start with the boom right on top of the valve cover and it's still not real easy to clear the rad support. With the load leveler in place, you lose at least a foot of boom height. If the hoist has a very long boom, it will work, but most are barely adequate to start with.

Good luck with the removal!