IGNORED

Flashback to the mid-'60's

gtom

Thought about this before.

On my last visit to the 1960's, Dr. Who said anything I tried to change could affect future events, or move my Z's future to another dimension / reality.

I considered how much I like my 240Z and how well the S30's did on both the track and in the market. Then decided not to change a thing...

More investment in better wiring.

A seat/wheel/pedal relationship built for a full range of people of typical proportions. They apparently had a pretty weird notion of how Americans are built. (I'm slightly tall for a woman and can only reach the pedals with the seat all the way forward.)

Power steering in the 280 for us GT lovers.

Some way to tune the AFR in the 280 without modifying the EFI.

Bigger and more functional hood vents.

But hey, no car is perfect. The 280 is as perfect a car (for me) as I've found.

How about using common parts from other manufacturers (like our check valve, or how ford/Chevy does with the brakes & driveline parts) so that replacement parts will always be available, ensuring a long-lasting history of the marque.

I can understand how you feel. I'm not short, but I have to put the seat forward to get a good push on the brake and gas pedals, but then the steering wheel is close in to your chest.

As has been pointed out already, most of the points being put forward were taken into account with the models and sub variants produced for the Japanese market.

More power, more ( sporty ) gearing, 'better' handling and sharper steering, more showroom options and race/sports options, multi-position seating ( with less dish on the steering wheel to compensate ) and all manner of other considerations.

Rather than talk to the design and engineering team, I think I'd rather talk to the press and publicity department and try to get them to be more forceful in pushing the truth of the background design / styling story, the engineering story and the fact - still largely ignored ( witness this thread ) - that this was a range of cars, a family of models, as designed, at launch and all through production.

People still don't seem to get it.

Well, sure, the model evolved, and there's no doubt nobody was thinking about a 280 when the 240 was released. I think we realize this is a family of models, hence my reference specifically to the 280. Or perhaps I don't get your point.

Even with the whole family of cars, looking at the entire range of Z's I believe every one is perfect in it's own way however no matter which Z I owned I would change certain aspects about it.

My perfect Z is the 77 or 78 280Z, the one thing that I would have liked to have seen changed stock is the bumpers, if it had the 240 bumpers stock it would have been perfect.

Well, sure, the model evolved, and there's no doubt nobody was thinking about a 280 when the 240 was released. I think we realize this is a family of models, hence my reference specifically to the 280. Or perhaps I don't get your point.

Are you still thinking only of your local market? That's my point made for me.

When I'm talking about the family, I'm talking about a family that starts right from the beginning of production and sales in ( theoretically if not in practice ) late 1969.

That family - through concept, design, engineering, production and finally sales ( let's say 'sales' in early 1970, to keep it real for all territories ) - featured no less than seven distinct domestic and export model variants.

Hence my lamentation that the US market got short changed.

Looks like it was purely a business decision. Just sell a Margherita pizza with effectively no choice of extra toppings, and keep production, supply and sales for export markets simple. If you want extra cheese or anchovy, go to the deli down the road and get it yourself.

Oh yeah, I forgot, why the deuce did they not put a 5 speed in the thing? My '69 roadster has one, so they clearly had the engineering and parts. I mean, how much would that have added to the price? That would have allowed them to put in a bit shorter gearing in the rear end.