IGNORED

Flashback to the mid-'60's

gtom

Flashback to the mid 1960's. You are a part of the Nissan design and development team for the new Z-car. The prototype models are nearing finalization for production. If you had the authority to make any styling or engineering changes to the final design prototype, what would they be?

Second guessing, especially 40 years later is way too easy. But here's two:

1) A little more money on the non-engine electrical system.

2) Maybe an inch, half an inch lower in front. Maybe it's an optical illusion of sorts, but mine, some I see on th road, and those in contemporary photos, seem to be "climbing" on level ground. I think its because they have more space between the tire and fender in the front than the back. So maybe a bit larger rear wheel cut-out, because I'm assuming the front is so high for clearance while turning.

Other than those two, not much. Sure, there was a 100 ways to make the Z perform better (in all aspects), and that if incorporated, would have put the Z in price competition with Ferrari's. And Datsun would have sold, two, maybe three Zs.

Chris

I love every Z car for what it is, especially the early Z's. I would make no changes. I love the fact that I could go out and pick up a 240, 260, or 280 and either love it just as it is, or mod it out in an infinite number of ways. In my opinion the simplicity of the early Z cars opens up endless possibilities.

However I'm just a complete Z-fanatic, so continue with the good thread!

I think everything is just great on (my model) car.

The EFI system is serviceable without a special digital interface, EPROM programmer or computer, as is the rest of everything under the hood or the car, and you don't have to replace the distributor points every few months. The car has beautiful lines, a well-organized interior, and is comfortable to sit in and drive.

But....

Would standard (imperial, or inch) fasteners count? I can relate to either system of measurement, but I have two toolboxes for the different collections of sockets and spanners! :rolleyes:

I would really appreciate better quality wiring, connectors, and rubber parts (seals,floor plugs, window gaskets, etc.) Those 'cheap' quality copper wires with the inferior PVC sheathing didn't hold up like the stuff on the neighbors 1968 (10 years older!) Mustang. The way the wires were bundled or wrapped in the interior could be improved, especially the stuff behind the gauges and the centre console. At least the latter can be corrected with some effort.

Better quality interior plastic pieces that don't crumble when you try to restore it after 40 years. Is there such a thing even now?

But then the cars would cost $1500 more when they were new.

I would have said, "Great job guys, I'm good with the design, let's go to production mode. But lets build this car to last 50 years or more and still stay within budget." I'm sure this would've caused some headaches...

I would have created a GT option that had a motor that put out closer to 200hp and perhaps sportier suspension.
They pretty much did do that....we just didn't get them here. And there's nothing wrong with digital interfaces, EPROM programmers, computers, etc. Got to roll with the changes. Then was then and now is now. Besides, in the 60s, I wouldn't have been quite old enough to be part of Nissan's design team and many (if not most) of you weren't born yet...... Edited by sblake01

One of the things I think was missing for the US market was no "real" options. A '70 Camaro had literally dozens of engine, rearend, and transmission combos to choose from not to mention body trim levels. In a way it makes the Z look kind of boring. If you've seen one 1970 240Z you've pretty much seen them all. I know some will disagree but when compared the to the vast range of just drivetrain options offered by my Camaro example any options the Z had were a big yawn.

So I vote, as mentioned earlier, for more engine, trans, rear end, and suspension options.

Steve