IGNORED

Fan Clutch replacement opinions

cozye

Any reason why I should splurge on the $80 Beck/Arnley fan clutch vs. the $35 versions that are available at the local parts house or on rock auto ?

My fan clutch locked up, so I'll need to replace it. Nothing like hearing a big fan running at 3000 rpms to suck down your mpg and steal that power.

i've always just put new oil in them and or a new seal. generally and i do mean generally, beck arnley parts are good quality.

I have had good luck with beck arnley in the past. Not quite sure why theirs is double what the other brands are on this one.

You think I could fix my current one ?

Took it apart last night, bearing is shot. I picked up the $38 imperial brand. Seems like it will do the job just fine and is an exact fit. While it was off I cleaned up my fan blades, re zinc plated and yellow chromates the nuts and belt pulley housing.

• 3 weeks later...
I am working on a project car, and I am going to use a thermostatically controlled electric fan, and do away with the clutch alltogether. Better cooling, and not as much of a rob on power.
That's something that's been done to many S30's (and other vehicles) since thermostatically controlled electric fans became available many years ago......