IGNORED

Spindle pin removal tool survey

Jeff G 78

I finally got around to making my acme thread puller.  I thought I took a picture of the internal threads, but I guess I didn't. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0149.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0150.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0151.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0152.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0153.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0154.JPG

As planned, I used 1" acme threaded rod and a S30 front strut top bearing.  I have enough material to make a few more, but I will hold-off until I try this one to see if the design needs any changes.  I might machine flats or a hex on the nut end of the acme rod to aid threading on the spindle pin.

I haven't tried it yet though since my spare corner modules are buried in storage until spring. 

Nice!  If it works, why don't you sell them?   This is a great tool but typically only used once or twice (unless you have a shop).  So, a good price point would be ideal...

Nice!  If it works, why don't you sell them?   This is a great tool but typically only used once or twice (unless you have a shop).  So, a good price point would be ideal...

That's kind of my plan Mike.  The materials are pricey, so it wouldn't be a cheap tool, but if it works better than what's out there, I might make a batch here and there to help the community.  I doubt I could make any money at all on them since quality acme rod stock and acme nuts are not cheap.  The labor wouldn't be too bad when built in batches, but each tool does require machining, welding, and also powdercoating if I sell them.  

The key is the testing to see if the tool works as planned.  I have one car that has never been apart and another set of spare rear corner assemblies that are virgin and from a VERY rusty car.  If the tool works on all four, I will make more prototypes for sure and figure out how much I'd have to charge.  

I'd guess the price to be around $80 - $100.  One issue I see is that the acme nut is huge and most people wouldn't have a wrench big enough to fit it.  From memory, it is something like a 1-1/2" hex.

If the tool works and I sell zero, I will be happy.  If I sell 10 and help others, that's even better.  If the tool breaks or doesn't work and I cannot modify it to function properly, I am still glad I tried.   :)

Having seen the pain that others have gone through for this particular job (Exhibit A: Blue's write-up on the Atlantic Z-Cars site; Exhibit B: Hardway's write-up on this site), I don't think there would be an issue with $80 - $100 for this tool -- if it proves to be effective. The big socket would only add another $10 or so.

A big harbor freight wrench would probably work fine. I wouldn't even bother to powder coat them to keep costs down. Keep them oiled and they will store just fine. I have a similar design that I bought many years ago that I have yet to break. It uses a piece of very large all thread but the design is about the same.

Yeah, I was going to check out HF for big wrenches.  It's not like the wrench needs to be high quality and it will get very little use.

Powdercoating makes everything shiny though!   :P   I can easily powdercoat the pipe.  I have access to the sandblast cabinet, powder gun and oven.  The powder cost is near zero per tube.  The process just adds a bit of extra labor.

• Like 1

Will do Jonathan.

I just measured the hex size and it is 1-5/8.  On Amazon, I found a single 1-5/8" wrench for about $16.  HF only has wrench sets in the jumbo sizes at a much higher cost.

If there is anybody on the forum that has an immediate need for a puller, please let me know.  I could loan my prototype out to get quicker feedback.  It will be a few months before I have a chance to try it out on my own spindle pins.  Feedback now would allow me to make changes over winter while I have more time.  Once spring comes, I'll be busy working on my cars.