IGNORED

Music to my ears

madkaw

Great sound, Steve. Thanks for turning off the radio part way through so we could hear it better. Sounds similar to my car now with the Magnaflow on it. I drive with the window down all the time so I can hear it better, rain or shine. Gonna miss that inline-6 music someday....

Exhaust is a one -off design by me. It is twin 50mm pipes with a crossover pipe.

I was going to ask Arne if he could decifer the fact that it was two pipes by the sound of the video since I am also running magnaflow mufflers.

I had promised many folks that i would post up a video sometime so they could hear a twice pipe set-up.

Yes I was waiting for someone to comment on my permanent smile on my face!!

You have to have a pretty powerful stereo to overcome all the noises-exhaust,wind,ect..., but it is tolerable for a hot rod. NO REGRETS ;)

That really is the sound I'm looking for.
That type of exhaust note is typical of inline six engines with straight-through glass- or wool-packed mufflers such as the Magnaflows that Steve and I are using, or traditional glasspacks. The note from this type of muffler is noticeably different than the harsher, more gutteral note from the common "turbo-type" mufflers (Dynomax, et al). Nothing wrong with either type, just different.

The pitch and volume will vary depending on the size and number of mufflers used, as well as (especially?) the pipe diameter. My car actually had this note in a moderately quiet form when I bought it. At that time it had the stock manifold and downpipe, small 1.75" tube with a single 2" ID x 24" long glasspack on the tunnel. It had a nice sound, but was actually rather quiet.

My replacement (construction detailed in this thread) has the stock manifold, MSA Premium Exhaust downpipe, one 2.25" x 22" glasspack in the tunnel, a Magnaflow 11148 muffler at the rear, dual Hedman resonated tips, and a mix of 2.25" and 2.5" tubing. Even with more mufflers than the previous small-tube system, my car is noticeably louder now than it was before. And I like that just fine!

Exhaust is a one -off design by me. It is twin 50mm pipes with a crossover pipe.

I was going to ask Arne if he could decifer the fact that it was two pipes by the sound of the video since I am also running magnaflow mufflers.

Not really, Steve. I remembered going in what your system was, but overall the note as heard in the video is much like mine, perhaps just a touch louder.

I do note that mine has a bit of a "ringing" sound to it, but only under load. Almost sounds like the engine is pinging, but not quite. More like the sound you get from some headers. Definitely seems to come from the rear of the car (where the Magnaflow lives). Doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the sound, but if I could eliminate it, I would.

Thanks for the reply Arne. I was wondering if you could here the fact it was duals. Did you listen to it with speakers on your computer? I have seperate speakers on my stereo and I could here both pipes.

My exhaust also has what I call a cackle from the rear that could be thought was valve noise or pinging. I thought some tip resonantors might mellow that out, but you have tips??? Maybe it is a different sound we are comparing.