IGNORED

leaking lots of gas

so i have a 78 280z with 72 su's on it and i was wondering if anyone has ever had a river of gas going down their block while trying to start their car

does anyone know what the bottom intake bolts look like cause im so close to finally getting her started but there are no bolts on the bottom of my intake so its not getting enough gas to the head......... OH and my front carb is pooling with gas and sometimes dripping out the front..... idle adjustment too high???

Bad float valve? Excessive fuel pressure?

It goes without saying that you DON'T want your car to start when gas is spilling from the carbs! I once had one of those pretty aluminum billet fuel filters pop apart on my '66 Mustang when I started it in the garage, and the engine caught fire. The scariest part was that MY HOUSE WAS ALL AROUND IT! Be careful, eh?

You're in Salem? I'd get in touch with the guys at ZTherapy (off Kuebler Road). They know SUs inside and out, and can assist you in getting that debugged in short order, I'm sure.

ever had a river of gas going down their block while trying to start their car

does anyone know what the bottom intake bolts look like cause im so close to finally getting her started but there are no bolts on the bottom of my intake so its not getting enough gas to the head.........

OH and my front carb is pooling with gas and sometimes dripping out the front..... idle adjustment too high???

I'm guessing that you're not very confident in how the fuel system is supposed to work on your car. There should be no gas leaks at all in the engine bay. If things are right, you won't even smell gas. The "intake bolts", whichever ones you are thinking of, wouldn't really having anything to do with "getting enough gas to the head". "Idle adjustment" is usually controlled by air flow and shouldn't cause leaking gasoline (although I don't know SUs so maybe they do).

Like FastWoman says, I think that you are close to burning your car up. Once a gas fire starts, it's hard to put out, especially if the puddle of gas is under the car.

How long have you had the car and how long have the SUs been on it. If someone put SUs on it and kept the original high pressure fuel pump, you could easily get a river of gas and other problems.

Most definitely get in touch with us.. 503-587-9800

Based on what you've said, you are no where near ready to start it up. I don't know what Steve's schedule looks like but your insurance man will thank you for walking away from this for the moment.

I just talked to Steve and he says he and Bill both went over with you yesterday what you need to do. If that's the case and you are going to do what they said, there is no better information going to be forthcoming here. If not work on it well away from any structures......

so the river was caused by no bottom intake bolts and the gas leaking was a mis adjusted float i adjusted it to 8mm instead of 11 (im not the sharpest crayon in the box). so i fixed those and now she really tries to start up but she wont stay running she runs for about 5 seconds then dies. any ideas?

oh yeah and giving her gas doesnt help either

Edited by theblackpearl