Sign in to follow this  
grantf

goodbye

and good riddance:

the rt mount is the easiest upgrade so far, 14 mm wrench, socket and a hammer to persuade it a little. Oh and a sharp knife to remove a little from the bump stop. the clunk is gone! :cool:

post-17660-14150815385266_thumb.jpg

With all those RT mounts now in use, there must be one heck of a pile of used diff straps out there somewhere. I know I have quite a collection now.

If only I could think of a new use for them... Hmmm. Miniature summer tank treads, cat toys you toss that they love to chase (for really tough, big cats, or cats you don't like...), Bracelets for gorillas, backyard swing seats for really small kids,

Help me out here people, surely there must be more ideas out there!!!

Edited by zKars

Agreed. Not just the lack of clunk, but the big reduction in lash (or slop) in the driveline when getting on and off the throttle. And with no change in NVH. This is one of the biggest improvements in drivability that I have done - ranks right up there with the improvement in freeway stability from the spook.

Maybe a brand new strap would do as well, but I doubt it.

Edited by Arne

ok, I briefly remember seeing something about this upgrade in previous searches. Where did you get the RT mount ?

Improvements from the stock Z in order of effectiveness.

1) Poly rack bushings.

2) Front Spoiler.

3) RT Mount.

4) Plus sized wheels and tires

5) New shocks.

ok, I briefly remember seeing something about this upgrade in previous searches. Where did you get the RT mount ?

From this forum, but I don't think he's doing any more - http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?36463-R-T-diff-mount-Group-Buy&highlight=zsondabrain+mount

And from the Hybridz site - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/61675-rt-mount-ordering-info/page__pid__940145__st__140#entry940145

I orderd mine from technoversions. He shipped it supper fast. I orderd it 10:00 pm and it was shipped at about 10:00 am the next day, it arrived one day after that.

On another note I do hear more drivline noise, is this normal, perhaps vibrations transfering through the new mount?

I expected a touch more noise, didn't really notice any. But a bit more could be considered normal.

I have had this RT mount ready to install for 2 years, but still have not done it. You guys are making it hard not to start a new project. I have been eyeing that new strap at MSA just to keep her original. But this seems very tried and true

Calling it a project is an over statement. Took me two hours with a few very long beer breaks. Could brobably now do it in 20 min. I did presoak all bolts in bp blaster before work. The strap did nothing on my car.

I kept my old strap, just in case I should ever want to go back to totally original. But since the RT mount is 100% reversible, there's no reason not to install it.

ey Grant, Got a question for you. I just ordered the RT Mount yesterday. Got an email saying it shipped today. Pretty darn good service..

You mention a sharp knife. How do I know how much to cut off the bump stop? Will the differential show resistance when reinstalled?

Same about 3/4" but I cut a little at a time and test fitted it so that when it all was back together the bump stop was compressed but not difficult to put back together.

Thanks Arne. How I missed that thread is beyond me. Thanks Grant. I'll cut about .5" off first and then see how it goes. I bought a new differential mount, u joints upper fore and aft control arm bushings. Also half shaft boots and clamps. I think I can get the rear end back together, but those half shaft ujoints are going to be a challenge.

Coincidence? All three of us have/had yellow Zs.

Edited by rtaylor

I just received my new RT mount today and I hope to install it tomorrow. Kind of a dumb question,...and I may see once I crawl under the car,...but, which direction does this mount install? There is a notch on one side of the top. Does that go toward the right or left? Also,..there is a lip on only one side of the top flat portion,...does that lip go toward the front or the rear?

The notch is there to clear the fuel lines that run in the tunnel. I can't recall which side they are on, but just make sure the notch is on the side with the fuel lines.

The bump is actually off center. You will see there is only one way it can go in so that the bump is positioned over the center of the diff.

Improvements from the stock Z in order of effectiveness.

1) Poly rack bushings.

2) Front Spoiler.

3) RT Mount.

4) Plus sized wheels and tires

5) New shocks.

Well, something about a blind dog.

Just finished up on 1), have had a home-made 2) for a couple of years now, was wondering about what to do about my original 3) and now know, not really 4) though 215/60s are a little bigger, and 5) is on the summer to do list.

Chris

Well after looking at the RT mount and Energy bushing sitting on my shelf for two years I decided to finally install them. I tried to do it the "easy" way and not disassemble too much of the rear (just drop the front mount and loosen the rear nuts) but that just wasn't to be. In the end I had to remove the lower front differential bushing and drop the drive shaft to get the RT mount installed. Not a big deal. What was a big deal was my drive shaft; it was just about to leave the car. Yep, when I went to remove the nuts from the drive shaft U-joints I was able to remove all four of them without tools. All four nuts were loose with about a thread or two left. Had I not installed the RT mount I would have never known about that impending disaster.

I haven't test driven the car yet because I also drained the tank (5 month old fuel) and need to get 5 gallons of fresh gas. I expected to see rust and sludge come out of the drain, but it was pure fuel. My tank appears to be in perfect shape.

Anyway, I'll report my impressions tomorrow.