IGNORED

New engine

Diseazd

I just wish all the motor heads on the forum lived closer together......L series motors are what I love to mess with. Would love to be closer to all you guys. Eiji and PJOE are the only real motor guys around here and Eiji lives 2 hours away. Now that guy really builds a beautiful motor and he really appreciates the L series Datsun engine.

Edited by Diseazd

Story of my life Guy. Being in Michigan with a Z car is a lonely place to be. There are three Z racers I talk to regularly online about engine and chassis setups. One is in Georgia, one in Texas, and one in Washington state. I'd love to be able to get all of our cars together on a track so we can really see what does and doesn't work, but we're just too far apart.

Let me know next time you're coming 'down under' and I will chuck some 'roo steaks on the barbie for ya!!

I drove my car on Sunday with a group of other Datsun nuts through some great back roads in the country. Gave me a chance to open it up a 'little', and the bark/howl the engine makes is superb. I'm sure it's to do with the rod to stroke ratio, it just transforms the way the L28's perform.

Enjoy your new engine mate. I'm so happy for you!!

Cheers.

• 7 months later...

I liked the new engine so much, I'm going to do it again. I just bought this F54 block......I'll put an L24 crank and rods in the L28 block.....again,I'll use the shaved and shimmed P79 head built by Z Doc in Roanoke, Virginia along with .040 over flat top L28 pistons (ITM).

post-14126-14150824407863_thumb.jpg

Sorry Steve...none yet......My friend is moving his dyno to his new warehouse.....I've been bugging him, but It'll have to wait.....the car is at the restoration shop now anyway......my guess is not as much as the longer stroke motor, but who knows. The bore to stroke ratio is nicer on this motor, and it's more fun to drive.

I liked the new engine so much, I'm going to do it again. I just bought this F54 block......I'll put an L24 crank and rods in the L28 block.....again,I'll use the shaved and shimmed P79 head built by Z Doc in Roanoke, Virginia along with .040 over flat top L28 pistons (ITM).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63783[/ATTACH]

Excellent!! :D

Hi Jeff....Yes it revs better than a standard stroke (long stroke) L28.....it drives so smooth and doesn't fight getting to 7000 rpm. I imagine this is what a Ferrari feels like with their short stroke motors. Remember to shim the towers .080 inches and shim up the springs .080 also. You do that with 2 extra spring seats which are .040 inches each.

Hi Oz.....You were absolutely right.....it's the perfect bore to stroke ratio. Leave it to me to question Nissan....in 1975, they lengthened the stroke for more CID.....however, for driveabilty, I find this motor "just what the doctor ordered" BTW, does anyone with an L28 car know what your redline is on the tach for the stock L28? I broke one at 7500 last week....spun a bearing.

Edited by Diseazd