IGNORED

1976 280z 2+2

bhermes

I just purchased a 1976 280Z last week. I replaced the alternator and added a drivers side door handle. Alternator was easy not so for the door handle.

I have three projects on my agenda for this weekend.

1) Dash lights are note working. I read something that said that the tail lights and dash lights were on the same circuit. Not sure. The tail lights are working. Also, the brake light stays on. The little voltage light is also working along with the flip light in the middle console area. I am suspecting that the Panel-Light Rheostat/Switch is not working but not sure. Any thoughts? Horn is also not working. I have checked the fuses at the fuse box.

2) Brakes are squealing. Previous owner put on new brake pads recently. I know that this is a common issue but wanted to see what advise you could give.

3) Small fuel leak just outside the tank. What is the part that is mounted their? Might be a lose gas line in that area but not sure. Again any help would be appreciated.

On a good note the car runs great and only has 80,000 miles. Also very little rust.

Do a site search on the dash lights, you will find plenty of info on the wiring dash here. Brakes is brakes, probably just need cleaned, these cars usually do alot of sitting prior to being sold, and the brakes suffer for that. Look for leaks or weaps and fix as required. If you post picks of the apparatus you are trying to identify (near the tank) you will get an accurate answer. to your question.

bhermes, you should only post your question once (in a thread that you start, not on the end of someone else's thread about something else). I'm not fussing, but just saying. ;)

Here's the other thread under the "help" section:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?41946-Multiple-problems-1st-time-owner.

FAIW, this is a somewhat low-traffic list by comparison to some. You won't get instant responses, but you'll get good ones -- less noise, more quality content. We all sort of know each other too, in an internet sort of way -- and often in person. There's also HybridZ, which has a lot more traffic. It's all about mods -- mostly engine mods -- to these Z cars. It's a much more high-key list. This list is more for the folks who get excited about these cars in their stock form! ;)

I just purchased a 1976 280Z last week. I replaced the alternator and added a drivers side door handle. Alternator was easy not so for the door handle.

I have three projects on my agenda for this weekend.

1) Dash lights are note working. I read something that said that the tail lights and dash lights were on the same circuit. Not sure. The tail lights are working. Also, the brake light stays on. The little voltage light is also working along with the flip light in the middle console area. I am suspecting that the Panel-Light Rheostat/Switch is not working but not sure. Any thoughts? Horn is also not working. I have checked the fuses at the fuse box.

2) Brakes are squealing. Previous owner put on new brake pads recently. I know that this is a common issue but wanted to see what advise you could give.

3) Small fuel leak just outside the tank. What is the part that is mounted their? Might be a lose gas line in that area but not sure. Again any help would be appreciated.

On a good note the car runs great and only has 80,000 miles. Also very little rust.

The brake shims may need replacing.

Could you be more specific about the gas tank Leak? It could be a hole in the tank or a rotting hose.

Dave Ruiz