IGNORED

Why do these cars sell for so little $ ?

Healey Z

I picked up a project car; Austin Healey with a Z motor/trans in it. I love the drive train and it is a perfect motor for this car. It will be back on the road shortly.

I have never owned a Z, but have had some 510's and a roadster in my youth. Looking through the local Sacramento craigslist this morning, I was really surprised at how little these Z cars are selling for. I'm sure most of these cars are in need of a lot of work, but still. I may need to do an early Z after this Healey project.

The average: $2,760

The average without the one $17.5k car: $2,090

note: I changed titles of the craigslist ads to make a consistent format and deleted those cars which were obvious relisted ads.

1970 240z datsun - $2000

1971 240z- $1500

1971 240Z DATSUN - $1200

1971 240Z Datsun - $1700

1972 240Z - $1000

1972 240z - $2000

1972 240z badass! - $3000

1972 240Z Project - $2500

1973 240Z Datsun - $4000

1974 260z $2200 obo

1974 260z datsun runs new tires has some probs - $1200

1975 280Z Datsun 47K orig miles - $17500

1977 280Z Toyota - $500

1978 280Z NISSAN 280Z $4000

1979 280ZX datsun - $1500

1979 280ZX Dutsan - Nissan- $1800

1981 280ZX Nissan / Datsun Clean title, Smg'd, Reg- $1800

1982 280ZX datsun coupe - $4000

1982 280ZX Datsun GAS SAVER - $1200

1982 280ZX NISSAN/DATSUN TURBO - $1700

1983 280Z Datsun Turbo 5spd T tops - $800

1983 280ZX NISSAN TURBO ENGINE - $1400

1983 280ZX Nissan/Datsun Turbo- $5000

Edited by Healey Z

Perhaps your list of 23 local cars is a key to the answer to why they sell for so little money....... there seems to be too many of them for sale. How many Ferraris did you notice on Craigslist? Supply & Demand plays a big part. Z owners should enjoy their cars for what they are and not consider them to be part of their retirement portfolio.

Changing the subject a bit - your Healey project sounds really nice!

Dennis

Ok, the title (sell vs selling) makes me look like a moron, like some of the people that posted their craigslist ad, but I can't edit the title.
FTFY. :bunny:
Perhaps your list of 23 local cars is a key to the answer to why they sell for so little money....... there seems to be too many of them for sale. How many Ferraris did you notice on Craigslist? Supply & Demand plays a big part. Z owners should enjoy their cars for what they are and not consider them to be part of their retirement portfolio.
Can you say Japanese?

Very few Asian cars have much cache with the collector car masses in North America.

Their loss.

I figure it's a bit of both. Too many cars here on the West Coast for people to think of them as "special" or "rare", and a bit of bias against Japanese cars as "collectible" in general. This may be a good thing in my case. Because they don't cost a lot, I could afford a really nice example, and I don't have to worry too much about diminishing its value because I drive it.

I have a more difficult time than others with this perception because I am not from the west coast. From what I have read, the s30 in particular can be fairly rare in other parts of the US and up in Canada (rust issues killed several up here LOL).

Like all things, I believe this will one day change as time will diminish their numbers there as well. This should only increase their value and desire to own even further.

I really feel that that the s30 has made strides in the "Automotive World" in the past few years. I remember reading (can't remember where) how it is regarded as one of the top 10 cars of all time. In one foreign publication, they had it up there with some super cars in regard to it's impact on automotive history.

Edited by johnnyt

I have a more difficult time than others with this perception because I am not from the west coast. From what I have read, the s30 in particular can be fairly rare in other parts of the US and up in Canada (rust issues killed several up here LOL).

Like all things, I believe this will one day change as time will diminish their numbers there as well. This should only increase their value and desire to own even further.

I really feel that that the s30 has made strides in the "Automotive World" in the past few years. I remember reading (can't remember where) how it is regarded as one of the top 10 cars of all time. In one foreign publication, they had it up there with some super cars in regard to it's impact on automotive history.

The foreign press gives the Z more credit than many in North America.

You want rare?

1974 260Z or RLS30.

One year of production and two different 'styles'.

Unique VIN, 280's shared the same prefix as 240's, HLS30.

So many have been butchered or crushed because of their low esteem in the used car market.

They will be rare.

But I'm sure Yugo's are rare as well.

"Z" + "project" = $0

The same is true with just about every high volume car of this era.

They made Mustangs by the millions, but did you ever try to find a 1967 Mustang in a run-able or even restore-able condition? The stripped unit-body can cost as much as a running 240Z.

My wife wanted me to restore a 67 for her after I got the Z running. I went looking for one to start from, and ended up buying a 2008 GT for her. (Less money, and more drivable.)