IGNORED

What do you think of this---

Zup

"full set of Panasport performance wheels for sale. These are 16 x 7, and include lugs and caps.

These are in like new condition.

Retail $280 ea..................... Your's for $700."

My question---:stupid:

Are Panasport a better quality than the other brands out there??? Just curious with everyone's background history and knowledge. $700 is more than many other brands that are new. Is this one of those things, they are good quality, copied often, and some of the price is for the name???

Comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

Panasport is considered the "Cadillac" of Z wheels and are pretty expensive new. As these are "like new," $700 may be an OK price. Panasport also made/makes a racing wheel that is similar, if not the same, in appearance as their street wheel. The racing wheel is more prone to failure in street use because of curb hits, big potholes and other obstacles to smooth motoring. I'd inspect them closely before buying as small cracks may not show up real well in photos.

I chose Konig Rewinds (a Panasport look-alike) but still a good quality wheel for a fraction of the seller's asking price.

Panasports are often copied as you have mentioned. They are definitely a quality wheel, that look great on most Z's. They are no doubt the "Cadillac of Z wheels", as d240zx2 mentioned... But it could be worse. Take for example the "Ferrari" of Z wheels, Watanabe :) Probably in upwards of $2,400 a set shipped to the US. Even then... Watanabe wheel paint chips like crazy.

I'd go with a solid set of Konig Rewinds, or Rota RB-Rs.

The price is not bad. What is more important than the advice anyone on this board can give you is the following: "Do you really like them?" These are going on your car and no matter how good of deal you get, if you do not actually like the wheel then you are wasting your money and should keep searching.

Jim, Panasports are a very high quality wheel, and the price is quite reasonable.

What is more important than the advice anyone on this board can give you is the following: "Do you really like them?"
This advice is right on the money. I know what ad you are looking at, know the seller personally, and live close enough that I could pick them up in person and avoid the freight. I haven't done so because - I don't care for that look all that much, certainly not enough to spend that much cash and still need to buy an expensive set of 16" tires.

In a word, yes. Panasports are much better quality than the Rotas, Rewinds, and SportMaxx wheels that look similar. The runout is better and the wheels are stronger. I worked with OE wheel suppliers for years and there is a huge difference in wheel quality out there. There is a big cost difference between the two, so you have to decide if you want to pay more for wheels made in Japan vs. China. You can get new 16x7 wheels on ebay for less than half what new Panasports will cost.

When I bought my Panasports, there were no cheap 16x7 knockoffs. Now, Panasports are getting hard to find due to the huge price gap.

75_3.jpg

Edited by Jeff G 78
Added pic

• 2 weeks later...

Although Panasport are nice wheels they are taking styling ques from Watanabe 8 Spokes. I believe that they are relatively light though and dont look bad at all. For $700 if they are as good as the one pictured above, its a steal.