IGNORED

Protective treatment for NOS ashtray assembly?

Zup

All--

I was recently fortunate enough to purchase a NOS ashtray assembly for my Series 2 (73) 240Z. :)

In the past we've had discussions about the surface finish of the sliding lid and how difficult it is to restore that when it has been damaged. :cry:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to treat the surface so as to prevent it from oxidizing/tarnishing/staining/marring?? :bulb:

I don't intend to use it for it's purpose, but do intend to install it in the car. :love:

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome!!!

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

post-8151-14150813985322_thumb.jpg

post-8151-14150813985958_thumb.jpg

Very nice find, Zup. I've had to ask myself the same question for unreplaceable NOS parts I have found. Sometimes the simplest solution is the most effective. I use a rag impregnated with WD-40 to clean and preserve metal finished parts. I believe WD-40 was originally developed for the military to keep rust and corrosion at bay in unaccessible recesses of aircraft and similar machinery. I have a set of NOS bumpers and plan to use WD-40 to provide a moisture barrier to the inside surfaces rather than using a silver paint.

I'll be looking for other ideas coming from this thread.

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to treat the surface so as to prevent it from oxidizing/tarnishing/staining/marring?? :bulb:

I don't intend to use it for it's purpose, but do intend to install it in the car. :love:

Jim,

My only suggestion to keep it perfect is don't use or open it :). Seriously, though, I don't think there is any kind of coating that you could put on it that would still look original and provide any kind of protection. I also have a NOS ashtray like that, but my original is in good shape, so I'm just keeping it in the box for now.

-Mike

But Mike, we all know now that you have mastered the secret of time passage to 1969! :alien:

Methinks that you, my friend, have several "originals" that are in good shape!! ;)

Seriously again, I know you are right. :ermm:

Maybe just an obsessive amount of "careful" is in order. :ogre:

Dan--

As they say on Mythbusters----plausible---but I'm not yet ready to commit it to a test. :nervous:

Do either of you remember the name of that metal preservative that they used on magnesium rims and the like, that supposedly was ridiculously good for the lustre of metal??

I can't---I'm :stupid:

Some "old time" sounding name???----:cool:

Jim D.

Do either of you remember the name of that metal preservative that they used on magnesium rims and the like, that supposedly was ridiculously good for the lustre of metal??

I can't---I'm :stupid:

Some "old time" sounding name???----:cool::

Maybe Gibbs Gun oil http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/? That is the only thing I have heard recommended by some people for magnesium rims. I sold my magnesium rims after I had them restored and before I put anything other than wax on them.

-Mike

That's the stuff! :classic:

Still don't know that I'll use it, but the testimonials in the link you gave make it interesting enough that I'll order some and try it on some other parts.

As usual---if it sounds too good to be true--------:disappoin

We'll see! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Jim D.

I'm trying to imagine how I would deal with keeping that part nice-looking. And aside from threatening any who look to want to touch it, I'm failing.

Fragile as they are, I think I prefer the plastic ashtrays of the '70-71 cars.

I agree Arnie! LOL

A little SEM will cover many transgressions on the early types. :cheeky:

This is a problem that is good to have!! At least I think it is!! :classic:

Reminds me of the commercial of the dog with the bone that can't rest easy no matter where he puts it!!! :paranoid:

Jim D.

This is a problem that is good to have!! At least I think it is!! :classic:
Absolutely. If I had a '72 or later that had that style ashtray, I doubt I'd be able to rest until I had a nice looking cover for it—it is SOOO visible that a worn or tattered cover tends to bring down the rest of the interior.

Problem is, once I had a nice one like yours or Mike's, then I probably wouldn't be able to rest for fear something would happen to it! :stupid:

After going through great pains to have several lids faithfully re-plated, I found a new one too, being that I have several NOS consoles, but never expected to have a NOS cover,

here is what I did:

1) Maas Metal protector applied to all exposed metal

2) Test fitted a used cover to a NOS console, to check for interference.

3) Shaved the console where interference was found by gluing 320 grit sand paper to the used lid and taking it through its motions. You can't see where the sanding was done with the lid installed-much less with the console installed.

This accomplished two things

1) The metal is sealed and protected-with something that will not hurt plastic.

2) No chance of wear to the lid surface:added clearance between the console and the lid so even sand on the lid would not scratch.

You guys are great!

AJ--I agree. Patina is a natural process--- the result of time, exposure and use. I just want to contol it somewhat! I DO love the cars!! :love:

The question is whether to use Gibb's or Maas, as Will suggests above. The lube on the plastic slides is not a problem.

Will----What a carefully thought through plan! Brilliant! :bulb:

I do have an old assembly that I can use to do as you describe. You have identified exacty the problem I have witnessed on other assemblies----chafing of the cover against the plastic console resulting in marring of the metal finish. :tapemouth

Thanks to you all! :beer:

Jim D.

"Zup"