IGNORED

240-Lower or not Lower?

5150 will

I'm getting ready to install a new set of Tokico blues and I'm on the fence whether to install some Eibach springs or not. Basically I'm looking for input from 240 owners that have lowered with springs and if you have any regrets or not in doing so. Thanks, Will

It's been too long ago that mine had stock anything, so I can't really give you a comparo.

I do know that my BRE set-up is pretty stiff; you can liken it to a buckboard when crossing tracks, unless you get a bit of speed up and do a General Lee....

Since I put the 16s on, haven't had any problems with speed bumps. The 14s caused a bit of metal erosion on occasion...

I did Eihbach's also. Lower's car about 3/4" with a slightly firmer ride and handle's better. Looks better but so low that you create suspension geometry issues.

Make certain you get the 240Z springs. Bought mine from e-bay and was shipped 280 springs...

I've got a cut-down set of repro Nissan euro Stage 1 springs on mine. I trimmed them to sit about 1/2" lower than the stock sat with non-gas shocks. No issues with stock height tires on it.

FWIW, I think part of the reason people these days all think the 240Zs sit too tall on stock springs has nothing to do with the springs, but is because the cars all have gas-charged shocks these days. Gas shocks raise the 240Z ride height by about 1/2 - 3/4". When I bought my car with factory springs and non-gas inserts, the ride height was fine. Adding the gas KYBs made it too tall.

I have eibachs with tokico blues and it rides better than stock, and handles better. You will love them the ride is smooth not harsh. What I had before it was stock, then KYB with BRE springs, than I change to ST springs with gabriel struts ( they are better than KYB in my oppinion and cost a lot less ) I have own my car for 32 years. What I have mow on my Z I love it.

I have Suspension Technique springs & Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks. Only problem I've had is the L rear tire rubbing the fender a bit during hard cornering. The suspension feels like a sportscar's should. With the ajustability I can go softer - but keep it dialed up stiff mostly. Most cars look sleeker yet tasteful & handle better in corners lowered an inch, IMO. My RZ-7 has Racing Beat springs & Tokiko HP shocks - which, plus RB sways, made a HUGE difference in cornering. Don't see how I ever autoXed without. I'm getting ready to do the springs/shocks in the Miata right now & Eibachs come highly recommended.

Edited by venus

None of the aftermarket spring sets will cause a massive geometry issue since you won't get more than a 1-inch drop (and that might not happen if you have tired springs and shocks in there now - it's low already!).

Go to coil-overs and now you begin the process of making real mods (bump steer spacers, custom front and rear CAs, moving the pivot point on the front cross member, etc.).

I'm running coil-overs w/Tokico HTS shocks and 275lb springs on my 240 and it's low by most standards. How does it ride? Firm. How does it handle? Great.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Gnose, I want to keep my car a little closer to stock and I think coilovers would be a little too radical for my goals with this car. If I was going to do some hardcore auto x or lots of track time with it then I'd consider that option. I've got a disposable(sort of) Miata for that kinda fun:classic: