IGNORED

triple SU's vs 6 carbs.

brakelates30

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/TripleSUs.htm

I must admit that I am still only in the theoretical stages of my z car build. my 1972 240z is a nearly stock daily driver. I found the above website very intersting and was wondering if anyone out there new if a six carb setup could be found or if it is something that will have to be entirely custom fab work.

I don't beleive there is an actual off the shelf 6 carb set-up. Someone has made the 6 carb set-up, by customizing and intake and using 6 Kawasaki motorbike carbs, custom linkage and some other goodies. It's Plausible but but for the time and money, just buy a set of Webers or Mikuni's. I got a set of 40DCOE Webers that need to be rebuilt for $700 if you're interested..... (Complete set, linkage, Cannon Manifold and K&N air cleaner set-up, Needs new filters though)

Dave

A three two barrel card setup (Webers, Mikunis, Solexs, SKs, OERs) is what's typically run. A few folks have built a six carb setup using motorcycle flat slide Mikunis. Triple SUs have the problems mentioned in Marc's article and are probably not worth the time or efforts given the known and proven benefits of the triple two barrel side drafts.

A few folks have built them and they run just fine, although getting the mixture right is very difficult. The cars tend to run rich because that's where you need to run the front a rear carbs to keep from leaning out 2 and 5 under power. They can work on a race track but few have even bothered. If the racing rules are open enough to allow triple SUs you can also run triple Weber two barrels.

Triple SUs are more a shade tree science experiment then anything else.

The triple setup Steve did performs beautifully. The first year he had them on the white car, the run to Orange and back netted about 28 MPG. They have been flawless. And after that show I had people comment about how clean that engine compartment was at the show. When I asked what they thought of the triple carb setup most said they didn't even noticed them, the job he did was that subtle.

The blue car they are now on belongs to a friend here locally and I don't know how that happened..... nyuck nyuck

That was the same trip. Solvang Saturday for the roadster folks, Orange on Sunday for the Zers.
I remember, we were in my 810. Hey, that reminds me of Airplane! You know, "Well, we had a choice, steak or fish." "Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna."

Triple SUs are more a shade tree science experiment then anything else.
I don't see why, other than the entire system needs to be fabricated for a Z. Plenty of old Jags came with triple SUs, really not much difference in theory, still an inline six.

I also had a set of triple SU's a few years back. They ran ok but I was too much of a novice to tune them correctly. I sold the intake to a guy in Canada. never heard fom him again. I don't think.

Had to make my own linkage, throttle and choke assemblies to make it work together. Fun stuff

Dave

post-4921-14150813767826_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813768594_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813768927_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813769254_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150813769579_thumb.jpg