IGNORED

Most cost effective LSD 240z swap.

DjHoon90

Ive been up all night looking at different LSD swaps.

It seems that the R200 out of a Turbo 300ZX is the easiest, but i have learned that they are very hard to come by.

So im wondering what the most cost effective/ Easiest (Im reluctant to say easiest because i know it will be a lot of work either way) LSD swap will be.

I suppose i could weld an open diff, but i really really dont want to.

Thanks for any info.

Ive used the search button but have not found anything about what might be the best way to go.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you look at HybridZ site you will see that they have someone that is making stub axles to fit into a subaru STI r180 diff. This would be the wisest way to go, maybe not the cheapest. You will have 1000$ into the project, but it would snap together easier then a lego set and you will have equipment that was made in this decade, and the true tested strength of an STI diff.

In fact, I will probably be selling my r200 LSD to go this direction myself.

Interesting ideas, im gonna have to look into that.

I worry that it wont be an option for me, im trying to keep this build a budget one, but i have a feeling i might drop all the cash im saving by doing all my own body work/motor mounts and such on engine and drive-line.

Still tho if anyone has any reliable but cheaper options id love to hear them whal i research the WRX diff

I'd have to disagree with that statement. From what I have read at Hybrid and other sites , the r200 would handle almost anything the ls 1 would deliver, unless this person was planning a pure drag racing effort.

As far as the r180 in the wrx sti, I think 300hp would be handled easily. Anything over 300hp with the Z car, then the owner doesn't have a budget minded car anymore, but needs to invest in top-shelf equipment for every aspect of the car.

I am no diff expert-by a long shot. And i am not arguing for the sake of arguing, but that's why I asked if they were LSD's. From reading Jon Mortenson's posts here and at HybridZ, the LSD is a 4 pinion diff which makes a huge difference in strength. I was just reading that in his opinion a r200LSD would handle 400hp all day long. To me that is more then enough for a "budget minded' build.

Another route might be to install a LSD unit in a diff---if you can trust someone to know what they are doing to install it. Then by cost numbers you might as well have bought a r200lsd---if you can find one.

Oh, I'm not claimning to be a differential expert either. I just helped them change them out. Each of those cars were pre LS small blocks with mild mods but I don't think any but maybe one of them put out anywhere near what a stock LS1 or LS2 does.