IGNORED

New tires=empty wallet

IdahoKidd

Bought a set of 195/70/14's for Otto today. Only size available to fit the car in a 200 mile radius. $472 bucks! Ho Lee Kee Rap! I worked at a tire store for years in the 80's and felt bad when it broke the $200 mark. 7 bucks for a metal valve stem?? Some song and dance about tariffs on Chinese tires.

But, it did drive better, all 3/4 of a mile home. The old Aqua Treads were just over 20 years old and had been setting for at least the last 16. Couldn't get the flat spots out and the dry rot in the grooves made me nervous, but $472??

Ugh!

Performance rubber is not cheap and since 14 inch tires are getting rare (unless you own a Mini) expect to pay at least $300 to $400 for a set. But new rubber gives you a certain piece of mind. I expect to pay about $500 to $600 for mine.

I bought Toyo 908 Eclipse from Les Schwab Tire (70,000 mile warranty). They charged me $7.50 for a chrome sleeved rubber valve stem when I specifically asked for a metal stem (slotted aluminum mag wheels). I am feeling just a little bit violated and will be back in the morning. They can have the stems back! Good looking tire (for mini van tires) but nothing else available (some really poor cheapies). Next nearest town is 100 miles.

I've got Eclipses on my 240Z also. Nothing at all special, but quite adequate for my uses at this time. I've got 12k on mine now, still look great. I suspect I'll replace them due to age long before they wear out.

Most tire shops will do the mounting for you and won't even make you feel bad that you mail-ordered them.
Maybe where you live, but not around here. After all, the local shops can't make enough profit mounting carry-in tires to stay in business. They need to sell tires...

Mount and balance is $100 carry in, plus the shipping. Math isn't there with tire rack.

Arne, didn't you mention you spent years in a tire shop? If so, I feel a little better about the tires. Actually, I am more than comfortable with them, just seems like a hell of a lot of money.

Jesus, i wish tires were that cheap here. First i got a quote from Costco for about $1200 for nothing too fancy 16" tires. Ended up buying a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus from tirerack. Paid $764.22 and still had to pay to have them mounted on my Konig Rewinds.