IGNORED

240Z Eibach Springs in 260Z

LeonV

The car is back on the road as of the start of June! Driving impressions are that it handles great, but I really need to avoid larger bumps in the road. I hit one big enough to dislodge the coil-to-distributor wire from the coil!

The front bump stop definitely gets used, but it is currently unshaved. I plan to take off 3/4" to maybe 1" off the front bump stop, it should help to take a bit of harshness out. The rears seem like they have more travel (can't see as progressive coils are bound there), considering that my early 260Z rear struts match the 240Z (unlike the fronts). I could run the rears as-is but shaving the stop 1/2" or so wouldn't hurt.

The suspension really transformed the car and keeps it very well planted. I need to finally go to an autoX to really see what it can do!

Before

P1020051-1.jpg

After

100_9984-1.jpg

I also made a couple of comparison videos, just to have some sort of reference for what it was when I got it.

Before:

Mute this video until after the glitch at about 0:03!

http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u345/LeonVin/RLS30-004406/?action=view&current=P1010942-1.mp4

After: (Drivetrain changes include 3.9 R200 (was 3.54), full suspension rebuild, triple Webers, wheels)

Enjoy, and yes, I do need a new exhaust!

Just wondering....I have a 03/74 260z with Eibach springs installed by PO. Since I have had the car there has been a feeling of an uneven ride in the rear (almost like there are flat spots on the tires -there aren't). Would this be a symptom of the bump stop issue discussed above?

thanks

What do you mean by uneven ride? Can you describe exactly what you're noticing while driving? If the car is hitting the bump-stops, the ride will feel harsh, and you'll get some "crashing" over large bumps in the road (spring rate goes very high).

I do not get crashing over large bumps it is more a feeling that the tires are bouncing. I can feel this bounce at very low speeds on very smooth surfaces and at high speeds. The bounce tends to get better at high speeds if I adjust my shocks to the stiffest setting but I still feel it at lower speeds. One thing I did not mention earlier is that I only feel this on the driver's side rear. I have tried rotating the tires to see if there is an issue with flat spots or a bent rim but the bounce continues to be felt in driver's rear only. I thought it may be the half shaft u-joint that was a bit loose but repairing that had no effect.

Edited by colinc

Tire "bouncing" would be a symptom of a bad shock. I would replace the shocks, maybe the rears only for now (I'd do all 4). Have someone drive next to you and observe what the wheels do.

Do you have a warranty on the shocks? Do you know what shocks are in there?

Thanks Leon. I appreciate your help given that this has become a bit of a thread jack on my part. I have to say it is nice to see a 260z thread where people are actually not trashing the most rare Zcar. One of the PO's did the shocks some time ago so I think you are right it is time for a change. I will follow-up with the outcome.

• 8 years later...

@LeonV have you made any changes to your setup? I have a 12/73 260z and I put what I believe are 280 tokico springs on the car.

the car is too damn low! I can’t even get my low profile jack under it! I used to be able to just slide under without a jack!

I’m not sure how to approach this. I saw that there are metal spacers that are available...

https://zcardepot.com/products/upper-strut-mount-spacer-240z-260z-280z#&gid=1&pid=3

which should take up 0.7” of the 1” perch difference, unless there is a 1” option somewhere...

C3877237-4CAD-4751-9ACD-00FEBF313741.jpeg

51C9B077-F181-4848-B0B5-BF30A1079036.jpeg

@heyitsrama you installed the wrong springs, 12/73 is an early 260Z. The 280Z gets a shorter spring in the rear due to the taller isolator, if I’m not mistaken. You should fit 240Z springs or install 280Z rear top mounts. However, 280Z spring rates are stiffer than 240Z so you will end up sitting a bit higher. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, just depends what you’re after. 

42 minutes ago, LeonV said:

@heyitsrama you installed the wrong springs, 12/73 is an early 260Z. The 280Z gets a shorter spring in the rear due to the taller isolator, if I’m not mistaken. You should fit 240Z springs or install 280Z rear top mounts. However, 280Z spring rates are stiffer than 240Z so you will end up sitting a bit higher. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, just depends what you’re after. 

@LeonV it seems that changing out the rear strut isolator to a 280z is more cost effective than replacing all the springs, I’m reading in other threads that it should account for 3/4” of increase in height.

would keeping these 280z springs mean I would retain a more “sportier” feel in the suspension?

If by sportier feel, you mean higher ride frequency, then yes. Whether that’s a good thing is another discussion. 

You should be able to find used isolators pretty easily. A spacer will more less do the same job, yeah.