IGNORED

Shifter boot alternatives? Anyone?

Zedyone_kenobi

Thanks Arne & Ron for the compliments! I really appreciate it. Someone has ask me for an "installed" photo but I don't have one. If I recall correctly someone actually posted one back in the original thread. Anyone remember who.

Thanks Again.

Bryan

I did, several of them. But something has happened in the forum config and some of the attached pictures (including mine) aren't correctly linked to the thread right now. I've sent Mike a note about it.

But in the meanwhile, I drove my car to work today, so I'll see if I can get away from my desk and go take a picture. Will post it back here shortly.

I purchased a leather shifter and a e-brake boot on eBay (I will look for the seller), both are very supple and look great. I do recall that the seller was in the UK.

If the one that is causing you trouble is leather, I would suggest a generous coat of Lexol or Saddle Soap to soften them up a bit.

I agree with Ron and Arne. Bryan did a great job making these before any other repros were available and I still think his are as good, if not better, than any of them.

That reminds me, I'll probably need to order another one or two since my white car will be done with paint soon.

Here's a picture of one installed in my blue car.

-Mike

post-9102-14150813480974_thumb.jpg

I have installed a new shift boot on my car and while it looks great and new, it is as stiff as a board. Is there an alternative manufacturer of a black shift boot that will not feel like cardboard when I try to move my Type A shifter around. Without the boot, my car feels more gated and the shifter is very tight and snicks into gear wonderfully with little slop. The stiffness and unyeilding shift boot makes my shifter feel muddy and it pulls as the center console.

I want a factory looking replacement, that is soft and supple.

PS. I know MSA sells boots, but I have no idea if they are a hard leather or a soft leather.

Yes here's a company in the UK that sells buttery leather boots for cheap. I got a pair (shift and handbrake) for Christmas but haven't put them on my car yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-LEATHER-SHIFT-BOOT-E-BRAKE-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a565819a1QQitemZ250556717473QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

102,000 transactions; 100% satisfaction is pretty awesome for a leather boots vendor.

Edited by Jennys280Z

I'm not in favor of extreme modifications, but I like to personalize things a bit. See the attached pictures. I also went with leather, instead of vinyl on the seats and boots. Got them from Les at Classic Datsun. They were nicely made, and very soft.

post-17507-14150813558226_thumb.jpg

post-17507-14150813559197_thumb.jpg

post-17507-14150813559778_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I needed a shift boot for my 5/71 240Z and searched the threads (including this one) for alternatives. Based on the reviews from others, I opted to purchase an early shift boot from Bryan (LBO730) here on CZCC.

The new boot arrived on Friday and I installed it in the console on my '71 this past weekend. The quality is top notch and the fit & appearance are great. Attached are a few photos of the new boot, plus a couple compared to the old boot that I removed from the console. I am unsure if the old shift boot is original or not. It is made out of leather and doesn't have the pleat in it like the new boot. It does appear to have the correct original grommet, though.

Hats off to Bryan for providing a great product at a great price!

post-6323-14150813652475_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813653155_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813653741_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813654327_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813654906_thumb.jpg

post-6323-14150813655485_thumb.jpg

I can second Ron's recommendation - the boot I got from Bryan is great, and was virtually indistinguishable from the original - except the new one wasn't cracked, aged and falling apart.

I'm trying to remember where I got my shift and brake lever boots, but from someone on this site. Haven't installed yet, but they look good.