IGNORED

Rechromed bumpers

kenz240z

Hi Kenny,

Your bumpers came out great!

I love Denver Bumper, they are a great company and provide good, old-fashioned customer service.

I had my front and rear bumper done by Denver bumper last year. I loved the results but I have to say that the back of the bumpers are now rusting badly. :disappoin This surprises me as the backs did not look like bare steel but I guess whatever they put on the back was not good enough to keep rust out. I plan to take them off and POR 15 the backs next weekend.

Yes, the backs are raw metal and they absolutely need to be painted before mounting them on the car. I use Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch "Metallic Aluminum" on my bumpers (see below pics).

Denver Bumper not only re-chrome bumpers, but they will also restore the old slotted mags. They dip the wheels then buff them out and remove any curb rash for a very reasonable price (see pic below). Mine are now mounted along with new tires on my latest '71 project.

Denver Bumper has been discussed before in other threads: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36005

post-6600-14150813476662_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150813477459_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150813478054_thumb.jpg

STEVE91TT

Before using POR15 you need to have that rust blasted off or it will continue it's meal underneath the coating. It is possible to blast the inside without damaging the outside. I had a set of bumpers plated in 2000 and although no one told me either I just new it was a good idea to put something over the inside surface. I just used truck bed liner and 11 years later no rust. But by all means don't just cover the rust get it removed. Good Luck.

I believe POR 15 can be painted directly over rust. That is the point of it. As long as you use their three step process of Marine clean, Metal ready, then the POR 15 paint you should be all set.

I believe POR 15 can be painted directly over rust. That is the point of it. As long as you use their three step process of Marine clean, Metal ready, then the POR 15 paint you should be all set.

I wouldn't recommend using metal ready around fresh chrome. One drip or splash and you have pitted chrome.

Cozye,

I just got my email quote from Nu-chrome and they said $250 for a front bumper, $420 for the rear and $40 each for the bumper guards! For that much money I would get the stainless steel ones. I will be looking into Denver Bumper further before I send them to Nu-chrome. :(

I will add that they said this was triple chrome plating and would be perfect.

carl

Edited by cbudvet

Cozye,

I just got my email quote from Nu-chrome and they said $250 for a front bumper, $420 for the rear and $40 each for the bumper guards! For that much money I would get the stainless steel ones. I will be looking into Denver Bumper further before I send them to Nu-chrome. :(

I will add that they said this was triple chrome plating and would be perfect.

carl

ouch!! Did you send pics or anything? I hadn't sent my bumpers to them yet, this was just an email quote based on my description.

I may have to send mine to Denver as well. I'm not going to pay that much either.

Here is what Nu-Chome sent me..

"Hi

The cost would be in the $225 range per bumper. This would include filling

in the holes.

If you elect to proceed, let us know so we can schedule a no-cost UPS

pick-up.

Don"

I asked about straightening and filling holes

"Yes, staightening is part of our procedure and is included in our pricing.

All you need to do is inicate via magic marker the holes that require filling and we will do the rest."

This is the message I got:Good Morning

The approximate cost to rechrome our bumpers would be:

$250 - front

$420 - three piece rear

$40 - guards (each)

The triple plate process will result in a pit-free, mirror finish and take about 4 weeks to complete.

When you are ready to proceed please contact us so that we can schedule a no-cost UPS pick-up to get your parts to our shop.

Don

I don't think I even brought up the idea of filling in holes or straightening. I do like the idea of not having to pay for shipping but I will need to get a more accurate quote before I would use them.

carl

That's about the same as Denver according to the quote I just got.

"We are currently getting $275.00 for the front bumper. The rear center section is $125.00 and each end piece is $100.00.

The bumper guards will set you back $65.00 each."

But you pay for shipping. So cost is a about a wash.

If you need bumpers done, NuChrome is cheaper.