IGNORED

Distrbutor removal

wolfalp1592

Another while I'm at it. Im replacing the distributor cap and rotor and notice one bolt/screw to hold down the cap ('82 turbo) has been replaced with a wood screw by po and it isnt working. I look at the distributor base and see a mess of a hole. I break out the Chiltons (next to worthless) and it says just loosen the two hold down bolts. Done. It may just be very hard to remove but I have been know to over muscle things before. Does it lift straight up and out?

Thanks

Thanks guys. I am trying to remove the distributor from the mount.

Yes i have reviewed the FSM and found an exploded diagram but it does not indicate if there is a gear cog at the end of the shaft (as I have seen in other cars) and if the shaft needs to be twisted when removing or if it lifts straight up as Chilton indicates.

Problem solved. This is interesting. Has any one seen oil in this area before? Not sure what PO had going on. I think it was overfilled at some point. Good compression and but dirty engine.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz301/wolfalp1592/photo.jpg

Look at the lower hole for the retaining bolt. That will be fun to fix.

photo-1.jpg

Oil in the dizzy mount hole is normal. Relax on that.

Repairing that hole is best done by welding it up then re-tapping the hole. Any machine shop can do the welding. Use the cap to guide your drill bit to start the new hole. Have to take all of the guts out first. Not the cheapest or easiest route, but the best.

Other options; JBL weld/Epoxy the hole then retap (quick result, short life, but how often do you take the cap off), next use a bolt that passes through the hole and use a nut on the end, or Jb/weld epoxy the nut on the bottom so it stays put.

Next, try to find a very small nutsert.

Last, buy another base. Put an ad in the 'Want to Buy' section.

Other ideas anyone?

Thanks guys on the oil issue. I was getting nervous about that. I can weld fairly well particularly when it doesnt show so that was my plan. It is just interesting to me the way some PO's take on fixing an issue, rather than retap or tap a larger hole they use a wood screw and tear the threads and base etc. The joys of older cars. I'll post a completed pic and you can tell me how it looks.

I don't think there's enough material to do a helicoil, geezer. He needs to find a welding supply or industrial supply and get some lab metal. It is superior to JB by my measure. Clean the hole throughly, pack it good and tight with lab metal, when cured file smooth and then drill/tap. An alternative is locating another distributor but this is an easy fix.