IGNORED

Headlight / Wiper Switch - what am I looking for?

dridge11

I need to replace the headlight / wiper arm in my 71 and I'm having a little trouble finding exactly what I need. I have a replacement part from a later model, but it has a different main plug (9 wires instead of 6), assuming that's because of the extra speed on the wipers.

I found another wiper arm that looks identical to mine, but it doesn't have enough wires. My wiring is:

1x 6 prong main plug

2x black wires (one up high, one down low)

1x blue with white stripe

1x red wire

1x white with red stripe

Can someone help me put into words exactly what I'm looking for? Is it an early version, 2 speed, but not a series 1? Still a little new to the Z Car world.

Thanks!

What you are looking for is the member going under the name Zsondabrain, get hold of Dave, he can rebuild your original stalk.

Chris

Was thinking about that, but my current one is broken 3 different ways. The headlight knob itself is cracked so it would turn all the way around the arm, one of the spring/plastic things inside won't stay put because the side of it's slot is broken, and a wire came unconnected at the sensor. The replacement will be less expensive and less work/effort.

On a side note Chris...I like your taste in Datsuns. I'm 71 240z / 68 SPL-311 :)

Well, then you could try to download some FSM's from XenonS30 and then compare, still i believe Dave would have the answer you are looking for.

Yes i know about your side note, it's not that hard to tell when you go under the same name on 311s.org ;)

Chris

The 9 connector plug is for 73 and later. As Chris suggested, it would be better to contact Dave Irwin (Zs-ondabrain) to see about a refurbishment of your current combo switch.

You could do it yourself, but Dave has been doing for a while, and if the switch can be rebuilt, he can do it.

Was thinking about that, but my current one is broken 3 different ways. The headlight knob itself is cracked so it would turn all the way around the arm, one of the spring/plastic things inside won't stay put because the side of it's slot is broken, and a wire came unconnected at the sensor. The replacement will be less expensive and less work/effort.

On a side note Chris...I like your taste in Datsuns. I'm 71 240z / 68 SPL-311 :)

Since your current switch is broken, try contacting some place like Zbarn and see if Roger has a combo switch he can pull from a car with your build date or close to it. You may still need Dave to service it, though.

I noticed you're profile says you are in NAPA. Try Autogator in Roseville. I'm not sure if they still have many old Zs. I used to get parts from them 15 years ago when I was at Travis AFB.

Edited by SteveJ

I noticed you're profile says you are in NAPA. Try Autogator in Roseville. I'm not sure if they still have many old Zs. I used to get parts from them 15 years ago when I was at Travis AFB.

I'll do that for sure...I'm actually going to be in Sacramento next weekend so that would be convenient. You went CA to GA, I went GA to CA. Go Dawgs!:beer:

Dridge,

I believe Autogator is called NOW (Nissan Only Wreckers).

My suggestion is to take some photos of the switch as intact as you can. Take side, bottom, top,etc.

Send the photos to Dave Irwin. He's has several rebuild options (as of earlier this summer):

Send him your switch...he rebuilds it. or

Send him detailed photos and he sends you a switch (you then send your switch to him as a core AFTERWARDS (he doesn't charge a core charge). These options ran under 150.00 at the time.

He also has a few more options.

I highly recommend you do business with him... he's a stand-up guy and buy everything else he sells.

Dave Ruiz

:beer:

Thanks all...zzTom, thanks for the offer. The switch itself LOOKS a little different, but the wires look correct. I actually seem to have found one from a guy I've purchased several parts from the in past for $60.

Will keep this post handy if something doesn't pan out. Always get great feedback, advice, and guidance on this site.

Thanks!

$60. Grab it quickly. I have a new one from MSA $700 landed in NZ. Sitting in a drawer unused because I managed to repair the old one.

I highly recommend Daves products. Used one of his headlight relay harness upgrades on my 240. In a word, 'brilliant'.

Brian.