IGNORED

Matching Vinyl?...... Any Ideas?.......

Polecat

Ok guys, I have a interesting problem. I cant find replacement WHITE diamond pattern vinyl for my 72. I found black everywhere but white? Forget it!

Is there a place that sells the white diamond by the role to have new peaces made? I have everything but after sitting in the Nevada sun for 20 years, its not even close to be looking good.

Any suggestions?

Polecat

Check with Les at classicdatsun.com and Eiji at Datsun Spirit (email eiji@datsunspirit.com). If your vinyl is in good shape other than the fading you may also consider using SEM plastic paint/dye or something similar for it if you can find a good color match. Your plastic panels are probably also faded. I also have a white interior on one of my cars and had some faded vinyl spots and the plastic panels professionally done and you can't tell the difference from the rest of the interior.

-Mike

Les has all the pieces, even new door panel vinyl, that looks great when complete. I got my white diamond from Les and my white panels. I have a 73 which came with Off-White or Parchment(as listed in some pubs) and Les is not onboard with the color variation. I will get the paint store to color match my "off-white" and paint my new parts that color. The bright white is not for me. I still need the door skins and seat covers and my interior will be complete.

"A single layer of vinyl isn't all THAT heavy. A heavy-ish sewing machine with a big needle and some large thread could probably stitch it. Why not make your own from regular vinyl?"

Well there is something about the car that I just want to keep it with the diamonds. I am sure there are better looking vinyls out there but I really cant explain it. Its a very cool car with its interior! :)

Edited by Polecat

Polecat, I meant to stitch your own diamonds. It's probably not all that hard, as long as you're doing it on small pieces. You could mark the diamond patterns in soap crayons (the kind that you give kids to play with in the bathtub), and rinse the marks away when you're finished stitching over the marks.

If you wanted to be a bit different, you could even add a thin layer of quilting material and some fabric backing, to give the diamonds just a touch of 3-D appearance. I think that would look pretty cool.

Polecat, I meant to stitch your own diamonds. It's probably not all that hard, as long as you're doing it on small pieces.

Its no problem :)

I just looked at "Too Intense Restoration." and they sell the hole kit for a very reasonable mount!

Thanks again!

Polecat