IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

Carbs are just about ready to install which is great news. I picked up a pair of sweet looking flattops from 'grnsky' for just $20, such a deal:classic:. (My old ones would have required quite a bit of work to prep - but I will keep them as spares). The zinc looked good on the new ones, so no reason to re-zinc. I just cleaned them up with a little lacquer thinner and Nevr Dull. I polished the domes and then mounted the carbs temporarily in place. I want to re-zinc the bar in the center before I do the final install.

Its nice to see the progress. Attached is a picture of the old carbs and the original engine bay.

Also picked up some small parts from MSA. I got 10 black interior rivets, some plug wire clips and the door lock knobs. Total with shipping was $42.

Total cost is now at $5364

post-19125-14150813206151_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813206798_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813207398_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813207995_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813208592_thumb.jpg

Why the flat tops?

Glad you asked. There are actually several reasons for going with the flat tops.

1. I want to keep the car as original as financially feasible.

2. I like the fact that they are somewhat rare as most people have ditched them in place of the round tops.

3. I used this car for about 6 months with the flat tops as my daily driver and did not have any problems once I got the needles set right, so I am happy with their operation ( I figured the needles out in the first couple weeks of driving).

4. I think that insulation stuff is a unique and odd engineering solution to the vapor lock issue. (I would have done something different like adding vents to the service doors to improve air flow in the engine compartment).

So that's why the flat tops.

Do you mind sharing what brand of insulation you used? :) Are my eyes messing with me or did you use gold colored zip types to match the zinc?

The insulation and zip ties are all the original parts. I just used a little Windex to clean the insulation. ( I wonder if there is asbestos in that stuff. I will make sure not to eat it or chew on it :ermm:)

The zip ties are just real old. They are kind of vanilla colored in person. I was thinking of replacing them with new ones, but really haven't searched to see if they are available. I think I will just leave them as they are for now. Although, if I could find some NOS ties in good/white condition I would probably replace them.

Looking great! I bet there aren't many examples of well running flat tops in such presentable condition. My hats off to you. I remembered reading about two different types of insulating wrap that was used in the "Modification Plus" manual, so I looked it up. I have a couple of them in storage that I am keeping just for reference.

I recommend wearing a mask when around it. Your engine fan is blowing air right over it when you have the hood open. You don't want to be breathing those particles.

Bob

That's a good point, didn't think of that. I am thinking that I will spray some of my high temp clear enamel over the stuff as well to minimize any debris or flaking.

May have to put warning labels under the hood. You know how things are here in the state of California.:rolleyes:

Rich, When you want me to drop off my 73 for its refreshing? I really appreciate the wattention to detail you display. I really enjoy stopping to see the progrss as well. Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope you are able to take on another project this year.