Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

23k mile 1972 in Seattle area

Never ceases to amaze me how these special cars keep showing up. I just recently bought my 73 with 41,000 original documented miles......the owner sold it so he could purchase another same color 73 with 6,000 original documented miles. Wow!

Never ceases to amaze me how these special cars keep showing up. I just recently bought my 73 with 41,000 original documented miles......the owner sold it so he could purchase another same color 73 with 6,000 original documented miles. Wow!

Yeah, I was surprised to see both this one and the yellow 71 that was on the Seattle craigslist a couple of times with 19K I think? I had never heard of either one and that is just in the Seattle area, so imagine what is hidden away in some garages around the country.

I almost wouldn't want to own a 6K mile car though. You couldn't really even drive it without bringing the value way down. I think I heard a commentator on one of the Barrett Jackson auctions say some people restore a car to 100pts, then drive it until it gets down to 80 or 90 points and then sell it and buy another. Maybe the same would apply.

-Mike

I tend to agree Mike. I figure there's probably a sweet spot in there somewhere. My car (with 59k when I bought it) might have been pretty close. Low enough that it was still exceptionally clean and original, but not so low that I was afraid to drive it.

Since I like to drive my cars (not store and preserve them), the 23k of the car in question - if confirmed - would be on the low side for my comfort. But since numerous parts (especially plated parts under the hood) show a bit of age from long-term storage in a humid climate, I think I could justify driving this one and not worrying too much about the miles I was putting on it.

I think I heard a commentator on one of the Barrett Jackson auctions say some people restore a car to 100pts, then drive it until it gets down to 80 or 90 points and then sell it and buy another. Maybe the same would apply.

Isn't that the whole point of owning a car; to drive it.

I once knew a man (who is now deceased) that owned a collection of vintage aircraft (YQC-6 & UPF-7 Waco's, Stearman, Beech Staggerwing to name a few). He would regulatory take me flying with him to have a second pilot on board. One day I asked him "aren't you concerned to put all of this time on aircraft that can't be easily repaired or replaced?" His reply;

"These things were made to fly, not to be looked at in some museum."

Don't loose sight of why we love these cars. They're fun.

Looking back at the ebay ad, the seller has added a few more pictures and comments. It looks like the windshield has a ding in it. Not sure if that could be fixed or not. There is also a rip on the back of one of the seats shown now. He also added a picture of the "original tires" and says the are "Delta" brand tires. Obviously not original. He also shows a picture of some Bridgestones that are on the car now with the slot wheels, which he says are not originals. Those Bridgestones are 175 HR 14s, but I can't tell if they are RD-150s or not. My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.

Bidding is up to $16,100 now.

-Mike

Also, I noticed the clutch master cylinder looks like it is not original. Here is a picture of the one on the orange car compared to the original on my 5/72.

-Mike

post-9102-14150812195926_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812196206_thumb.jpg

My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.

Bidding is up to $16,100 now.

-Mike

To confirm your assumption, this RD-150 was in the spare tire well of the '72 I picked up a while ago.

post-9354-14150812196636_thumb.jpg

He also shows a picture of some Bridgestones that are on the car now with the slot wheels, which he says are not originals. Those Bridgestones are 175 HR 14s, but I can't tell if they are RD-150s or not. My 5/72 has a Toyo spare that is original, but I think the 72s could come with either the Toyos or the RD-150s.
Mike, yes, those are RD150s on the slot mags. My guess is that the mags were bought with the Deltas many years ago, but after driving them for some time, the owner then decided that the original Bridgestones drove better and swapped them from rim to rim. The documentation of that later swap may be missing, which is why the seller has the tire provenance backwards.

Well, whad'ya know? Look what just popped up in the CZC classifieds:

http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php?product=5399

That's funny. We must be too scary to reply to or post a thread directly. At least there are some decent pictures posted of the car outside now. It looks good from the pictures.

Apparently the price went back up to $1.28 a mile now too.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37705

-Mike

I still love 919 yellow....

What do you think a nice '71 in 905 red would go for? LOL

Since I like to drive my cars (not store and preserve them), the 23k of the car in question - if confirmed - would be on the low side for my comfort.

Sorry Arne, the yellow one is outside your mileage range at just 19.5k LOL. Unless, maybe you get a three car garage, keep the red one, and then get the yellow and orange one too. Then you could split the mileage amongst the three of them. That would keep the miles on all three pretty low :).

-Mike

That's funny. We must be too scary to reply to or post a thread directly. At least there are some decent pictures posted of the car outside now. It looks good from the pictures.

Apparently the price went back up to $1.28 a mile now too.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37705

-Mike

I pm'd him and suggested he consider introducing himself to the forum and telling the story of how he came to own the car. I'd be interested to hear more details.

What do you think a nice '71 in 905 red would go for? LOL

:bulb:I bid 10 grand...end of auction...bidding closed. Winning bidder - Gary S.!!!:bulb:

There you go Arne, there's your seed money for 919 yellow!

The cork on the air cleaner isn't original. :-D

No, but that battery is pretty darn cool, even if it has no juice left:).

Gary S.

Sorry Arne, the yellow one is outside your mileage range at just 19.5k LOL.
I could probably overlook that for 919. But first I'd need to sell the red car, and it's probably worth more to me than others would be willing to pay.

$25K for the yellow car still seems kind of steep to me. Two years ago you could have bought HLS30-00048 for $22.5K http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32495. It was totally restored and is now part of the "Z Mecca" collection. A big part of #48's value is its low VIN (at least to some people), so you could drive it and maintain it without decreasing the value much. The yellow 71 has most of its value based on the low mileage, so if you drive it, it would depreciate rapidly.

-Mike

$25K for the yellow car still seems kind of steep to me.

Agreed - $18K to $20K would be reasonable for a buyer.

Two years ago you could have bought HLS30-00048 for $22.5K

As I recall that was $22.5K Canadian or about $18K USD

It was totally restored and is now part of the "Z Mecca" collection. A big part of #48's value is its low VIN (at least to some people),

I would say a part of its value was the low VIN - the BIG PART was the over-all condition of every nut, bold and screw. The low VIN would help attract attention and it would sell more quickly - but over-all condition if far more important.

so you could drive it and maintain it without decreasing the value much.

To a point I'd agree. However if you drive it to the point that all that bright shinny yellow Cad plating started to turn color and deteriorate - the value of the car would go down quickly. You would be moving it from #1 / #2 Condtion to #3... and there is a large gap in value there.

The yellow 71 has most of its value based on the low mileage, so if you drive it, it would depreciate rapidly.

The value of "low mileage" is really based on the expectation/assumption that mileage is directly related to "condition". With the two cars we are discussing that would seem to be a valid expectation/assumption; but it is not always the case. If you drove them and held their condition the same as it is now - it really wouldn't effect their value if they had 19K / 23K miles - or if they had 25K / 29K miles.

With all these "Classics" CONDITION is KING. Mileage isn't even on the judging sheet that I know of. Although - again - very low mileage attracts more attention/interest and makes the car easier to resell.

Edited by Carl Beck

I love 919 yellow also.....If I didn't own four already, that car would go in my garage! BEAUTIFUL!

Edited by Arne

Interestingly, both the low mile lime Z in the classifieds, and the low mile orange Z in the eBay ad both have the same dealer license plate frame :)

This Orange 72 with 23K miles is now up to $17,305.00 and the reserve is still not meet. Less than two days to go...

Will it break $19K ????

So the "reserve" must have been at $17,400.00 {yes/no?}

I did not get the impression that the seller had any intention of taking the reserve off before it was meet.

Carl B.