IGNORED

23k mile 1972 in Seattle area

Mike B

Like most people, I'm HIGHLY skeptical on the mileage, but I feel that way any time I see a car in that condition with such low cited mileage - I figure if someone has been maintaining it all that time, they must have at least driven it now and then. I only drive my car maybe once a week on average and I've still managed to rack up about 2,000 miles per year on it. ... And If I did that for 38 years, well, you know...

I would be surprised if a car like that didn't have a glove box full of receipts, or at least a little notepad listing services performed and their associated mileages. I only did away with that practice recently after going digital.

A picture of the fuse box would be interesting...

I might be in the minority here, but I believe the mileage stated is accurate, given what the photos show. The original braided upper radiator would an item that would most not likely survive on a vehicle was driven 123,XXX miles and nearly 40 years of age. Not to mention the original radiator clamps.

That's a great looking car. From the pics it all looks pretty legit. The hoses are very telling. When I picked up my '70 with 95K on it last year, it had all the original hoses. These definitely look all original-even the plug wires.

The only things that seem odd to me are the blue coil (mine is black) and the gloss black bumper support and hood rods. Would like to look at my '70 to compare but it's not available. (you can tell that I am really stretching here to find something not original). That is a pretty sweet looking vehicle from the pics.

post-19125-14150812189414_thumb.jpg

Once again the ability of Z owners to nit-pick a car over the most insignificant details raises it's ugly head... just going to prove that you can NEVER underestimate the power of human stupidity.

If it were a roll over 100k car, can someone explain the items that belie that claim?

The steering wheel, the seats, the white lettering on the Combo Switch, the Radio buttons all show nice and crisp... sure went to a hell of a lot of work to "fake" a low mileage car.

The carpet appears to be OEM styling with very little crushing that was typical of the OEM styling, the seats, the dash, all appear to be in mint condition... must be a fake.

The rust on the Master Brake Booster is an exceptionally authentic touch... so is the dust and lack of polish around the inspection lid bumpers... sure went to a lot of trouble to fake you guys out.

The wear on the foot pedals is especially artful, just enough to "fake" a low mileage car. The passenger door panel doesn't even show a blister in the chrome edging... a truly well done and hard to do "fake".

Once again the biggest obstacles to the value of the 240Z rising prove to be the owners of other Z's themselves.

Supposing that you Doubting Thomases are correct...

EVEN without the undercarriage shots that everyone demands as well as the obligatory lift the carpet and the asinine refrigerator magnet scraped all over the paint... the cleanliness of the vehicle, it's engine bay, the overall look and appearance surely yield a vehicle that is worth the asking price and more.

If it rained soup, you guys would bitch about it not being a flavor you like.

My 2¢

E

A question about authentic paint verses repaint on the bolts that hold the finders on. Should they be painted the same color as the finder?

This cars bolts are painted the same color as the finder.

Yes, that is correct. Bolts holding on fender are painted same color as fender.

hood rods are pretty glossy even on a 40 year old. My bay just wasn't as clean.

Over $15K with 4 days left, not bad

post-19125-14150812191231_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7

If I was in the market, 15-18k would be a reasonable price. If it was fully documented mileage and no irreversible alterations,bodywork. I would go 20-22k. Have you guys seen the prices of early- rough condition 70's cars? Someone must have inspected this car to be offering 15k. The Z cars are so undervalued, its crazy. My .02

-Rick

Someone must have inspected this car to be offering 15k. The Z cars are so undervalued, its crazy. My .02

-Rick

Easy enough to win the bidding - then tell the seller that you are sending a professional to inspect the car prior to payment. If the seller has been completely honest - it usually is NOT a problem, if done quickly. If he has misrepresented the car... he'll blow you off and put the car back on E-Bay to catch someone not so smart.

This "might" be a car that someone wants for the growing interest in the "Survivor Class" of Classic, Collectable and Special Interest Cars... you are allowed to "refresh" up to 10% of the car and still qualify for that class.

As this car sits now - nice as it appears to be - it isn't in "show winning" condition. Nonetheless, I agree that $20K to $23K would not be out of the quesiton for an impatient buyer..

In that price range - if someone will spend $20K for nice Z - they will just as quickly spend $23K for the right color etc. Saving $3K is not worth waiting another year or two for... How many 23K original mile 240-Z's have we seen in the last year?

FWIW,

Carl B.

The only things that seem odd to me are the blue coil (mine is black) and the gloss black bumper support and hood rods.
The blue coil (mine is blue) and the gloss black bumper support and hood rods are correct for a 72.

I had thought the blue coil on my 5/72 must be a replacement as well, since I had never heard anyone mention that they were blue on the 72's. I thought they might be similar to the blue replacement air cleaner boxes that we see on some cars. At the Zcon this summer I saw Mark Lambert's 4,400 mile 5/72 and it has the same blue coil. I actually replaced mine with a black Nissan coil, so I still need to switch it back.

Here are a couple of pictures of the coil on Mark's car and mine. The first two are of Mark's and the second two are mine.

-Mike

post-9102-14150812192458_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812193197_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812193738_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812194175_thumb.jpg