IGNORED

Follow-up: Impressions of my new exhaust

FastWoman

I finally have the MSA premium (aluminized) 2.5" exhaust installed in my mostly stock EFI '78, with a stainless steel Magnaflow glass-pack added as a mid-pipe muffler (rather than a resonator). The system uses my OEM exhaust manifold, rather than headers (which I don't particularly like). I also opted not to install the flex coupler that I was considering before. These are the parts:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10416

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PEC27/15-6304

I had Tidewater Z do the installation for me, as they had to do a bit of cutting, refitting, and welding. They did a nice job, although they were quite slow getting around to it. Total parts were around $350 and labor $200.

The exhaust fits well and sounds pretty good. It has a very deep note at idle, but a bit louder than I had hoped. There's little or no raspiness, which was my #1 concern. It sounds a bit mellower than a moderate "American muscle" tone, and of course with an even tone, rather than the characteristic American V8 "burble."

The exhaust gets somewhat louder under load, of course, but still without raspy overtones. Very nice. I haven't yet had my car on the freeway because it's still not legal. I hope to have my inspection sticker Monday. :)

Then I'll be getting on to other projects, like replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket (small exhaust leak around #6 --- shhhhh!) and replacing my injectors.

Anyway, thanks, everyone, for your helpful advice. I'm pleased with the outcome! :beer:

Sarah

Edited by FastWoman

Hi Sarah. My wife and I have a 240 which is a weekend driver/cafe cruiser, LOL

I was going to go the header route some years back but after being a passenger in a friends 240 with headers I decided to leave it standard, as I found the drumming and resonance from the headers set up, made the car unpleasant .Our car still has good performance, and our top speed limit here is only 100kmh--about 60mph. We are doing a 1500mile trip this coming weekend so a quite car is good.---Or fairly quiet anyway.LOL

Brian.

Passed inspection today. Yea! :)

All legal now, I had a chance to punch the accelerator. From what I could tell on the inside of the car, the exhaust sounds fine -- no Honda tuner kid-car character to it.

Unfortunately my inspection sticker reads 9-11. Now I have to look at that on my windshield for a year. Kinda takes some of the fun out of driving. :disappoin

Edited by FastWoman

Unfortunately my inspection sticker reads 9-11. Now I have to look at that on my windshield for a year. Kinda takes some of the fun out of driving. :disappoin

Place an American flag sticker above it. These "colors" never run!

I have an unknown header on my car tied to the MSA premium exhaust and I dont notice any drumming or extra resonance from it. However, I do think it is pretty stinking loud.

Its odd that my header isn't even from MSA and it didnt require any customization. All I had to do was leave out a short piece of piping that came with the car and open up the flared end a little bit extra

• 2 months later...

You know, after I did the exhaust, the car was mostly inoperable (other issues). I haven't really gotten it out on the road much until now, and I realized I hadn't really done a proper follow-up on the exhaust.

With the lean-running issues worked out, the exhaust has a sound sort of like a Porsche on steroids. It's a really deep note, and you can hear it from a pretty good distance.

Come off of idle just a bit, and there's a tiny bit of rasp, but not much.

Under load, the sound mellows out and doesn't get particularly noisy.

Cruising, you can't hear a thing.

I tried driving through a concrete tunnel at WOT with the windows down, and the exhaust noise was only slightly louder than the engine, road, and wind noise.

It's definitely a good system, for my purposes. I'd recommend the configuration to anyone whose priority is civility and driveability.

Fastchick-just pretend you're a blonde and the sticker is there to remind you what number to call if you need the Cops.LOLROFL

Edited by Z train

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40158

I installed the same system on my 73 last weekend. I was amazed at the fit and finish. Everything bolted right up and the hangers were in the exact right spots(nice system). I did have to take the muffler to a shop to open up the end so that it would slide over the exhaust pipe. The shop did it for free......2 minutes. I also think it's a tad bit loud, but might have a resonator installed to tone it down just a bit! I took some pics......see above. Guy

Ah, geesh, Ztrain! I'm waaaay too brunette for that! ;) Besides, if I were a dumb blonde (as opposed to the smarter ones), I'd end up calling 119. ROFL

Diseazd, I understand the fit depends a bit on the transmission. Apparently the kit fits a lot better on the early models than the later ones. Mine had to be adapted a bit.

I haven't heard my exhaust without the midpipe Magnaflow muffler, so I can't tell you how much difference it makes, but I suspect it's quite a lot.

Edited by FastWoman

I just got my exhaust in two weeks ago as well. Great sounding exhaust... I flipped the muffler like many people advised and the muffler casing does not hang from the underside. I still however have to get the tip stretched to go over the muffler outlet instead of tuck in. I don't understand why they can't just do it from the box, but I guess it could be cost prohibiting.