IGNORED

Sagged-Out Seats

Gary in NJ

I'm only 170 pounds, but when I sit on the drivers seat the springs sag-out and the cushion drops quite a bit. Is this a function of the springs, the padding, or both. The vinyl on my seats is in very good condition so I hate to rip 'em apart, but I would like a little support from the seats.

Any suggestions?

First question: Do your seats have the "S" curve springs or the straps?

If they are the straps, then it may depend on just how far gone they are. If they are the straps, have the seats been redone with new rubber straps or (as I've seen) nylon straps reminiscent of a lawn chair.

Some of the "repairs" I've seen on the bands include adding additional bands from the underside and adding additional straps perpendicular to the original straps. In either case the extra straps try to impart more resistance to the stretch of the old.

In the case of the "S" springs: if they're broken... maybe you can wire the ends together, but replacing them may be the only way out and that involves removing the cover.

If they're just "tired" then add some elastic strapping (or not so elastic) between the "S" bends from one end to the other.

All of these involve making your hands real small to fit in the space below the seat.

FWIW

E

First question: Do your seats have the "S" curve springs or the straps?

If they are the straps, then it may depend on just how far gone they are. If they are the straps, have the seats been redone with new rubber straps or (as I've seen) nylon straps reminiscent of a lawn chair.

Some of the "repairs" I've seen on the bands include adding additional bands from the underside and adding additional straps perpendicular to the original straps. In either case the extra straps try to impart more resistance to the stretch of the old.

In the case of the "S" springs: if they're broken... maybe you can wire the ends together, but replacing them may be the only way out and that involves removing the cover.

If they're just "tired" then add some elastic strapping (or not so elastic) between the "S" bends from one end to the other.

All of these involve making your hands real small to fit in the space below the seat.

FWIW

E

I've never had the seats out, nor did I do the recover, so I don't know the answer to any of those questions. But I will. When I have the car apart for winter maintenance I'll pull the drivers seat and see what lies within.

I've never had the seats out, nor did I do the recover, so I don't know the answer to any of those questions. But I will. When I have the car apart for winter maintenance I'll pull the drivers seat and see what lies within.

I replaced the straps in my 1971 240Z with the BD replacement kit but I used rivets instead of the clips that come with the BD Set. The clips were unmanageable. It worked out fine and they seats were back to their original suppleness. Chances are your 1972 240Z has straps also. Access is from below so you do not have to remove any vinyl.

Chances are your 1972 240Z has straps also.

Springs replaced the straps under 240Z seats early in the 1972 model year, around 1/72. A 7/72 production car like Gary's should definitely have springs unless the seats have been replaced. My 5/72 has springs.

-Mike

Gary, I'd take the seat out and take a look at the bottom. I'm going to assume that you have the seat with the lever and not the one with the knob since you have a 72. On old spring seats two things usually cause excessive sag beside ware, the clips between the springs broke or separated, or the springs are cutting into the foam.

If the spring clips need replacement this is easy they you can buy them from an upholstery store make your own out of some stiff wire, or hog rings. Using some pliers, and wirer cutters this is a easy fix and you can access the springs from below.

If the springs are cutting into the foam, this is from the foam material starting to fall apart. I have seen people slip heavy or something thick between the springs and the foam and it works. However if this is the case I'd get new foam. The covers are attached with hog-rings, and if carefully removing these rings you can use the cover again (I've even reused the rings). If your worried about doing it right have an automotive upholstery shop do it if you bring the foam pad and just the seat to them this would be a quick job for them taking them about 15 minutes to do.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the straps in early seats, mine an 10-71 1972 model, those straps are made of "Pirelli Webbing". You can get it at various reupolstery shops. It is stretchy when new, but turns to hard stuff that looks like it was on fire or heated when old and looses all its substance.

I carefully opened the rivits that hold the webbing and reused them. Job looked original and seat was like new.

To make the job easier I separated the back and bottom of the seat. That required a special tool to loosen the screws that hold the hinge. Mine were TIGHT! It is a large screwdriver that is struck at the rear with a hammer and has a gear device that multiplies the turning force while at the same time forcing the bit into the philips head of the screws. works.

Edited by ZCCOR#109