IGNORED

remanufactured steering racks

anthony_c

Any update awconroy? How'd it go with carsteering.com?

I'm looking to order a re-manufactured rack soon...

Hi Andrew,

As I posted earlier in this thread. I installed a rebuilt rack from Carsterring.com this summer. I was very satisfied with the quality. I put 2500 miles on the car in July driving to the ZCON in Nashville and it handled great. Make sure you replace the rubber bushings that secure the rack to the front cross member.

Hi mgmoreau,

Yeah, I saw your post, just hoping to get another data point in favor of Carsteering.com :]

Still not sure if I'm being too nitpicky on how tight the steering is or if I genuinely need to replace my rack. I replaced the rubber bushings with urethane parts about the same time I replaced the ball joints and outer tie rod ends, and the steering seems kinda loose. Need to wait until I have a helper to turn the wheel back and forth while I lay on the ground and see what's moving that shouldn't be.

I recall seeing the rack shift back and forth after installing the new bushings when I had someone helping be months ago, but I'm not sure how much movement was too much.

In another thread someone mentioned the possibility that I have a 280Z rack a PO may have installed, and that my 240Z bushings are too narrow to hold it down correctly... still need to investigate that.

Inf,

i had previously replaced all the front bushings but everything still felt very loose and klunky. the new rack made a noticeable improvement, and now the steering is smooth and tight. not the cheapest repair you can make, but i would make it part of any front end rebuild.

IIRC from a story in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine about a guy with a 'budget' 944 racecar build, most steering racks are rebuilt by a company on the East Coast somewhere. I will try to find the story. If it is still true, they worked directly with the individuals and not just rebuilt for Kragen and such. Cutting out the middleman might make this cheaper. Also, as I recall, it wasn't that complicated to rebuild the Porsche rack. How complicated could ours be?

• 12 years later...

Just an update regarding carsteering.com racks. 

And I love to make posts in really old threads.....

Checked today and Car Steering is still listing racks for the 280 as having 10+ in stock. Price is $260 + shipping.    

240 racks are out of stock. 280 racks are same just need the right bushings for wider flange on the Left side.

https://www.carsteering.com/buynow/1976/Nissan/280Z/Rack_and_Pinion/80-70087_AN

Don't forget that Techotoy now makes all new steering racks for S30

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/ultimate-steering-rack-240z  

$695 list.  $895 with their tie rod ends

• Like 4