IGNORED

Need Series 1 Radio Wiring Pictures

JohnnyO

Ron, Mike and Mitchell,

Thanks for the discussion and pictures. Sorry I wasn't able to be involved this evening. Took the youngsters fishing at the lake after work.

I really appreciate the details Ron and Mitchell provided. This will help me lots.

Ron if you are willing to part with the antenna connector I would love to get it from you but I do need the entire unit. Name your price (within reason ;-) and how I can pay you if you decide to part with it.

Otherwise, if they are just blade connections on the switch end and a 4 conductor female on the other end I think I have the parts to make it myself while I search for the original. I have a 73 dash with connectors I can canibalize.

I still need to figure out the power side though. I will reread the thread and post my questions.

Mitchell: I understand what you are saying. I am just going to hide a mp3 connector in my glove box so I can hook up my player. I actually like AM radio so if I get a decent signal with the radio I should be fine.

Thanks,

John

snip... Time to dig out a wiring diagram? I don't think the diagrams even depict the connectors IIRC.

The diagram doesn't have the connectors. I do have a multi wire connector diagram that indicates a connector for the radio. It shows the harness connector being a sm3 connector with wbk/w/l for wires. The SM3 connector is the small 3 wire connector and that is what is on my radio.

I will make my power connector with that. I still need the antenna connector.

John

Mike, let me know if you need a connector. I might have another on my harness.

Ron if you are willing to part with the antenna connector I would love to get it from you but I do need the entire unit. Name your price (within reason ;-) and how I can pay you if you decide to part with it.

Otherwise' date=' if they are just blade connections on the switch end and a 4 conductor female on the other end I think I have the parts to make it myself while I search for the original. I have a 73 dash with connectors I can canibalize.[/quote']

Yes, they are just 1/4" female spade terminals on the switch end with protective sleeves covering them and the end that plugs into the harness is just a common 3-way connector, configured like (= l). I will gladly send you the one in my pic, so you will have the proper one. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll get it on the way, no charge. I don't have a spare switch though, just the jumper harness.

Ron, After checking out my harness it appears that your radio is the correct version for the very early Z cars. My harness has the 4 conductor plug, the radio I purchase has a sm3 connector and a separate RL wire with a bullet connector for the power.

Your radio is correct, just to clarify things and my harness was not molested, just a different connector for radio power.

John

Edited by JohnnyO

Ron' date=' After checking out my harness it appears that your radio is the correct version for the very early Z cars. My harness has the 4 conductor plug, the radio I purchase has a sm3 connector and a separate RL wire with a bullet connector for the power.

Your radio is correct, just to clarify things and my harness was not molested, just a different connector for radio power.

John[/quote']

I never realized until comparing with my cars wiring harness that there was such a thing as an early (series 1) radio and a later version also. Now I see, my radio is a TM-1081ZA and not a TM-1081ZB.

Other than the wiring configuration, is there any other difference between the two versions?

The radio was missing when I bought my car. I aquired this radio as part of a mixed parts lot and not knowing any better, just assumed it was the correct one for my car. After all, they look identical. I got the speaker with it as well as the antenna. It is in need of a cosmetic restoration, has the typical broken corners on the face plate and I have been unable to find a replacement knob for the one that is missing.

Ron,

I think most are aware that the wiring harnesses differ from early to late and now we know the radio connections do too.

I managed to make an adapter with a LF4 conductor and SM3 conductor and a Male Bullet for the RL wire.

It works and I now have power to the radio. Need to get the antenna wires sorted out and then I should be able to test.

We should add the early/late radio to Mikes spreadsheet.

I will see if I have any knobs for your radio.

John

I managed to make an adapter with a LF4 conductor and SM3 conductor and a Male Bullet for the RL wire.

It works and I now have power to the radio.

Funny John, that's exactly what I need to make the reverse of, if I use this radio.

From what I can determine, all the instrument panel harnesses up to 12/70 used the same 3-cavity power antenna wire connector. I mailed out the antenna jumper harness you need to make this connection on the morning of the 27th, so you should be able to test it out soon.

Yeah, it's only the one black knob I have missing. I've been beat out on Ebay a few times trying to get one cheap.