IGNORED

'79 vs '82 rear disc calipers - opinions?

EricB

Time for another 2c worth. I did not know that the bracket on the 280zx in 82 was fixed to the swing arm I am sure all the ones I have seen here in Australia where held on by the 4 bolts holding the bearing grease catcher to the swing arm. It is unfortunate that you guys dont seem to have any R30 series skylines(MR30HFEM) or (MR30HAEM), as they come with either a drum brake on the swing arm or the (CL11H) 82 style disc brake unit, this means the brackets are interchangeable between cars. Now I am pretty sure that this is the donnar bracket we use here and these cars sold until late 85 so parts are around. maybe your parts guys through nissan in the states might be able to help if you use those to product codes to check for the part lists.

Good luck Steve:classic:

The parts I have are Nissan P/N 44155-04S10. They both say ADPT-CALIPER RR..... I hope they're interchangable because they're both Right Rear. I called Courtesy Nissan and was told that this is a rear caliper adaptor for 81-84 Maximas and the same part is used on both sides. He said he can order them and they're 55$ each. I'm still not 100% sure what year caliper to use from a ZX to put on a 240Z though and they guy from Courtesy didn't know either.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 sets of the 1981 Nissan Maxima caliper brakets, for the conversion you guys are talking about. 1 set is brand new from Nissan, the other set is from a wrecking yard. I also have a set of 1982 280ZX rear calipers, but they need rebuilding. Any takers??? After getting these parts I decided to get the rear brake conversion from www.modern-motorsports.com

So DRECORD, since you've got the parts can you tell if the '82 calipers match up to the bracket? Have you done a test mount on your car?

Actually I thought you were supposed to use ZX FRONT calipers, not rears. Man I'm just getting more and more confused. I may end up buying 3 or 4 sets of calipers before I find the right one!!! ROFL

Michael

Yes, the 82 calipers fit. 81-83 rear calipers are the ones you need for the Maxima brakets. The rotors you need are also from a 1981-83 280ZX. It's probably a good idea to get the 81-83 280ZX proportionig valve, or an adjustible one. It's been awhile since I've seen the website, and I can't remeber what the url is. I'll talk to a friend today to see if he still has the information on that conversion.

THANKS! Finally someone who actually has the parts and can tell me 100% sure they work! Not that I'll be doing that real conversion soon, but it's nice to have the details straightened out. Thanks again!!

MIchael

PS how much do you want for the calipers? I could use them as cores for a trade in. Just PM me!