IGNORED

'79 vs '82 rear disc calipers - opinions?

EricB

hi all,

i was just at the junkyard where apparently today was "Z rear disc fiesta!" apparently... I came across 4 '79 Z's with rear disc brakes and 2 '82 Z's with rear disc brakes...

From my cursory inspection it looks like the spacing for the mounting bolts of the bracket of the rear caliper to the rear hub is the same...

BUT the two calipers ('79 vs '82) look very different. Does anyone here have a preference one over the other and why - yes this would be for retrofitting them to my '73 240Z...

to be more specific the '79 appears to be a one piece design and it extends much deeper towards the center of the car than its '82 counterpart which has a more modern "2 pieces held together by 2 14mm bolts" look to it...

what do you think?

Rick (HMS)? 2ManyZs? Alan?

-e

I have been looking at the 82 z disc unit for my 73 z it is a GOOD MODIFCATION all the hardware ie backing plates and handbrake fittings bolt up (grab everything), it is younger,the most important it is a supportable common use brake across nissan (CL11 unit). I can not comment on the 79 , but I have operated the CL11 units on an R30 skyline for a number of years, they work really well the only problem I encountered was a stuck(frozen) park brake cable to the right rear. these items have have a ratcheting piston assembly for adjusting up and in some cases this part of the system may jam.

Recommend go for the 82 overall excellent brake unit.

please post results or any snags.

Good luck

Steve

:classic:

Someone just posted a link to I think it was the Georgia Z club that had an excellent write up on the ZX rear caliper swap. I thought I had saved it in my favorites but can't seem to find it now.:stupid:

I think they recommended the later 82 calipers as well. It seems to me that it has something to do with the parking brake actuator on the later calipers that works bettr than the earlier ones with the stock 240 cable arrangement.

I think you need the Maxima brackets to bolt them up to the hub, something else to look for while in the junkyard..

I'll look some more for the link and post it as soon as I find it...:ermm:

thank you to the both of you...

i grabbed the calipers from the '82, and the rotors (they need a turning but have plenty of life), and the lines which i'll probably swap out anyways....

i'll look for the georgia Z club on google.... if i find the link before you 2ManyZs i'll post it here....

when i do the swap i'll also be putting in the '79-81 ZX master cylinder as recommended just about everywhere....

as for the maxima brackets - i am not sure what you mean - but i'll look up the link..

-e

2ManyZ's - thanks for the article link.... :)

I do have a (dumb?) question...

where does the bracket pictured below (and taken from the article you linked me to) come from? is that the maxima bracket you are talking about? what years should I be looking at? it just slides onto my rear stub axle?

the '82 Z I got the calipers off of had its caliper bracket as an integral part of the lower A arm it looked like - that's why I didn't grab it...

-e

PS: I did find a nice and thorough 3.1L article on the Georgia Z site, here's the link: http://www.georgiazclub.com/tips/ztech/3.1engine/3.1engine.htm

post-1574-14150792285823_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a set of brackets shown in the link above. They are Nissan parts and from what I understand they are made specifically to fit ZX calipers from a 280ZX to a 240Z. I may be mistaken but that's how I understood it. I don't know what year caliper they're for still looking for that info. You may be able to find those brackets somewhere otherwise good luck trying a bracket from another car. If I remember I'll get the part numbers on the package - they're still in the original Nissan bag/box.

Michael

i just got off the phone with randy from their parts dept over at courtesy nissan and he had no idea what i was talking about... i asked him to look both in the nismo catalog and in the nissan parts book and he found nothing.... maybe he wasn't looking in the right place?

yeah a P/N would be great!!

Also and separately has anyone tried ordering the lower panel which closes off the bottom of the engine bay from unwanted turbulence - it's in the same section as the radiator shroud of the nismo catalog...

nismoparts.com says NLA

courtesy hasn't gotten back to me about that yet...

-e