IGNORED

Need help ASAP - fuel starvation problem

Jeff G 78

Z train, forgive my ignorance again, but what exactly does the MSD replace? The '75 dizzy + MSD 6AL and I'm all set, or do I need other components? I know Z cars rather well, but I've never messed with distributors much.

Jeff, I have a few ZX distributors with the E1280 modules that I can loan you if needed.

id go that rout, but how does that work if he's carburated, does he have a stand alone ignition system, for the module, or will he not even need the module. or do these have the ignition module like the fuel injected systems that he can just bypass and use the zx module?

Jeff, I have a few ZX distributors with the E1280 modules that I can loan you if needed.

That would be awesome Ron! One of my teammates lives in Windsor and usually comes every weekend to help us work on the car. If he's coming this weekend, maybe he could grab it from you on his way here.

I guess I'll have to do some quick research and see how hard it is to convert to that setup.

id go that rout, but how does that work if he's carburated, does he have a stand alone ignition system, for the module, or will he not even need the module. or do these have the ignition module like the fuel injected systems that he can just bypass and use the zx module?

Uhhh, you are scaring me. I need to go read up on this stuff.

Don't be scared. It's way less complex than all of that requiring a simple two wire hook up. Been discussed many times here.

i didnt mean to scare anyone with my lack of knowledge. i just wanted to know for my personal sake. if it wasnt simple as it seems im sure someone would of said so.

Z train, forgive my ignorance again, but what exactly does the MSD replace? The '75 dizzy + MSD 6AL and I'm all set, or do I need other components? I know Z cars rather well, but I've never messed with distributors much.

THe MSD will replace your ignition module.Basically you just splice it into the pick-up leads off the electronic dizzy.I did this on my wifes LZ-23 that i just built her.Tie wrap the MSD box down and away you go for the race or mount it permamently if you like it.

Thanks everybody for your quick help!

I plan on borrowing Geezer's ZX dizzy to try. The big question is what does everybody think the problem is? Is the distributor a likely culprit, or am I barking up the wrong tree? I want to have as many possible fixes in my pocket as possible. I hope the dizzy solves it, but if it doesn't I want to be ready with other things to try.

Update:

Bruce wins the "smartest guy in the room" prize for correctly calling the problem as a clogged pickup sock in the tank. We diagnosed the problem by swapping the two fuel hoses at the tank using the return as the supply and the supply as the return. We did an A to B and back to A test and confirmed the diagnosis. We have no way of fixing the tank, so we'll just race it using the return line as the pickup. We lose some range since the return isn't on the tank bottom, but it's better than heading into the pits every five laps with starvation issues.

Here is a pic of the return pipe in the tank. You can see how the retun is up off the bottom.

IMG_4337.jpg

The supply is out of view on the far side of the baffle, so we had no way of knowing it was clogged. I did blow through it when I POR15'd the tank, but it could have been full of crud and had just enough free area to run fine for a while until the rest of the sock filled with debris, limiting flow. After the car would sit for a while, enough crud must have fallen off the sock for it to run well again for a short time.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! :beer: