IGNORED

240z bumper bolts

cbudvet

Hey,

What is the size of the bolts that hold the bumper brackets (the spacer between body and the bumper) on? The body shop is FINALLY making an effort to work on the car and I don't know if they have the bumper bolts. Are they 10mm or 8mm or something else???? Thanks.

carl

4 of 10 x 1.25 for the bracket to rear panel. 30 mm are plenty long. The nuts that hold the studs on the bumper to the bracket are the same.

The threads on the welded on nut on the tab at the bumper tips where they bolt to the side of the car are also 10x1.25 on my car (72 bumpers), but the same nuts on front bumper tips where 6x1.0 thread. Not sure if that's standard or not. Seemed a bit odd at the time..

Hope that helps!

Front or rear?

Side bolts or the front and rear body mount bolts??

I think the bolts that hold the bracket to the body are (14mm head, 10mm dia. bolt, 20mm long)

The sides are 30mm long, 8mm dia bolt with a 10 or 12mm head.

working off memory and can't remember the thread size. (maybe 1.25 on the larger??)

Sorry,

I wasn't thinking when I posted originally. The rear bumper mounts. The U shaped brackets that bolt to the rear body and then the bumper bolts to it. Mainly, the size of the bolts that mount the bracket to the body.

carl

Mine went MIA over the 25+ years of being apart. I found some at the local hardware store but the head was larger and longer overall. When I bought a set of tail hooks they came with the bolts. They are 14mm head, 10mm dia., 1.25 pitch and 32mm long overall, just enough to get the back 3mm exposed and rusty.

Bonzi Lon

• 3 years later...

I know this is a zombie thread but I'm Trying to mount the brackets onto the frame on my 72 I just bought some 10mm x 1.25 x 14mm head and they wouldn't fit the nuts on the feame one threaded on about 25% in and started to bind up. I'm Wondering should I try to force it with some kind of lube, or should I try a different thread pitch. Think I may have to just bite the bullet and buy a tap and die set and chase the threads clean

Edited by JGREEZY

I am willing to check for you what is on my car when I get home in a few hours with a tap and die set, I have a 1/1970 240Z (VIN #907) though you may get better info/solution before then. I have the rear bumper off for other work.

Edited by Mikes Z car

The pitch of those nuts on the car are 10 x 1.25 without doubt, at least as it came from the factory. Go buy a Harbour freight tap set and clean them up. Nothing you can put on the bolts you have will clean out those threads without harming its threads.