IGNORED

put the Z in Twilight Zone

Mikez73

I finally got spark in my ignition but it won't quite run. I'm sure the base timing is off because I have the new 280zx distributor on and I can't set the timing until I get it running. I put it back at TDC today. The rotor is pointed straight at #1 on the compression stroke (I think). I pulled the plugs and I believe pistons #1 and 6 are up. This car is making me crazy but I'm pretty sure that the harmonic balancer mark should be lined up with the 10 degree timing cover mark. Am I tripping or what?

05-03-10_003.jpg

If the engine is at TDC, the timing mark should be at zero. You'r3 about 20-30 degrees ATDC. If you rotate the timing mark to TDC/zero, you will see that your distributor is no longer pointing at the #1 cylinder (It will be between 1 & 5). You'll need to loosen the distributor and rotate it so it is aligned with the #1 position.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Thanks Gary. You're right, it should be 0 not 10. That pic is a little deceptive because of the perspective. It may be closer to 35 after TDC. I'm not sure I have that much adjustment. I might not have the new fixing plate set right though.

It may be closer to 35 after TDC.

Yeah, with firing after TDC the spark plugs are firing with the piston on the down stroke after maximum pressure. I wouldn't expect combustion.

I think you have the distributor off by a tooth or two.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Yeah, with firing after TDC the spark plugs are firing with the piston on the down stroke after maximum pressure. I wouldn't expect combustion.

I think you have the distributor off by a tooth or two.

Looks worse than that :disappoin

Maybe when they rebuilt the dizzy they installed the shaft 180 degrees off?

05-04-10_002-t.jpg

It does look that way, doesn't it. How maddening to track down a problem only to find a manufacturing defect.

Yes, this has been a real PITA experience all around. This is the second refurbed dizzy I've tried. The first one didn't work at all. I tried an e1280 module, two HEI modules, and 4 pickup coils before giving up on that dizzy. I was so happy when I installed this one and got spark but I couldn't get the motor to run. Now I see why it wouldn't run.

I'm tempted to disassemble it and install the shaft the right way but I think it may be best to just return it and hope the next one works.

I am not sure about the 180 degree out issue, but the mounting base for the ZX distributor is different that the one on the early cars. It isn't possible to get the timing right on the ZX dizzy without pulling the oil pump.

Now that I say that, I think there is a difference in the alignment of the rotor between the distributors as well... (old age is a pain. What was I talking about again?)

In any case you will have to pull the oil pump and put the drive at an angle that makes the new distributor work before the car will run. The ZX dizzy was designed for a different car after all.

No, I fixed it...I think. You just need to remove parts 1 through 8 in this diagram and move part #9 around 180 degrees and reassemble and reset the air gap. That's all I did anyway. I have spark now and the rotor points to plug #1 with the crank mark set at 0 degrees. Much appreciate to Adrian for 5 pages of electronic ignition help at HZ :beer:

In the time I've spent on this conversion I probably could have installed and adjusted 100 sets of points :D

280ZXdizzy-diagram.jpg