Play in front wheel/hub - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Play in front wheel/hub

Featured Replies

Hey everyone, I went for a ride today in my 72 240z and after a few minutes I heard some grinding coming from the front brakes. I drive home and jack the front end up and see that my pads are toast. Anyway.. While doing this I figured I would take a look at a few other things because at highway speeds my steering wheel shakes real bad. I snugged up both of the wheel bearings a little bit and the passenger side feels nice and tight(I didn't over tighten, but there is no play on this side). I go back to the driver side and if i grab the wheel at 10-4 or even 3-9 there is play somewhere that I just can't find. I even went to the extent to tighten the ball joints a little more, but still no luck. The car has all new ball joints, tie rods ends (not inners), and poly bushings all around. It seems like this play doesn't even move the tie rods, so I am thinking the inners are ok (they feel fairly solid anyway). Could the inner wheel bearing just be so crushed that its not sitting right anymore? What/where should I check now to fix this headache? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks, Elliot

Maybe look at the steering shaft coupler - if you haven't already.

I would think that a bad bearing would be making a lot of noise - mine always did!

Flip your tires front to back and see if the wobbling is still there or different. Out of balance tires are usually the culprit in my experience.

Have you ever inspected the spindle? I had a 76 Cutlass that had a bad spindle from the doing a brake job and not repacking the bearings. I was 17 and never made that mistake again.

  • Author

I haven't checked the spindle, but it could be possible I guess. Maybe the bearings just aren't seated correctly? Keep the suggestions coming. I want to tighten this up.

Thanks

It appears to me to be a bearing issue or possibly a worn spindle. Have you thoroughly inspected the inner and outer races and cages? Are the races loose in the hub?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I didn't pull the bearings out at all to inspect them. I just tried to tighten them up a little bit to see if that would help at all. I may try to take them out tomorrow and see it the spindle has been damaged at all. I took care of the steering coupler when I did the poly bushings. That part of the steering has tightened up a lot, but the steering wheel shakes and there is this play issue.

Hey everyone, I went for a ride today in my 72 240z and after a few minutes I heard some grinding coming from the front brakes. I drive home and jack the front end up and see that my pads are toast. Anyway.. While doing this I figured I would take a look at a few other things because at highway speeds my steering wheel shakes real bad. I snugged up both of the wheel bearings a little bit and the passenger side feels nice and tight(I didn't over tighten, but there is no play on this side). I go back to the driver side and if i grab the wheel at 10-4 or even 3-9 there is play somewhere that I just can't find. I even went to the extent to tighten the ball joints a little more, but still no luck. The car has all new ball joints, tie rods ends (not inners), and poly bushings all around. It seems like this play doesn't even move the tie rods, so I am thinking the inners are ok (they feel fairly solid anyway). Could the inner wheel bearing just be so crushed that its not sitting right anymore? What/where should I check now to fix this headache? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks, Elliot

This is where I'd start looking.

If the wheel still moves when you grab and shake at 12-6 it's a wheel bearing or could be a bad bottom ball joint. 9-3 shake could be a wheel bearing, as well as other steering issues .Get someone to wobble the wheels while you look.You would notice a bad wheel bearing with quite an easy shake.Don't overtighten the bearing or you can cook them.I usually tighten mine till there is no wobble perhaps a notch more.Iv'e never had a bearing problem doing this.40 years ago I stuffed both front bearings in a VW from overtightening.

From your description,I would suspect a bad tie rod end ,inner or outer.

Edited by olzed

  • Author

I think it maybe a combination of the two, wheel bearings and the ball joint. I was able to watch the wheel today as someone else wiggled it and it seems as though the ball joint wants to move slightly as well ( it moves slightly in and out as I wiggle). I looked at the bearings today and they seem to be in good shape and the spindle doesn't look like its damaged. The thing I don't get is how could the ball joints be bad after such a short time..? I don't think I over or under-tightened them when I installed them, so this just doesn't make sense. I guess I will try to get a new ball joint and see if it changes anything.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.