Does $50 seem to much for this valve adjusting tool? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Does $50 seem to much for this valve adjusting tool?

Featured Replies

A local guy is selling this. Does MSA or anyone still carry these?

post-5999-14150810714872_thumb.jpg

You don't need it......just use 2 metric wrenches!

  • Author

Do you think this tool would make the job easier? Didn't the Idaho guy in what became the Z therapy tune up video make one of these?

My Z guru has one of these. He said he's saved a couple of thousand busted knuckles over the years by using it, and it's a bit faster, too.

True, you can get by just hunky-dory without it, but hey, we're largely guys and guys need tools!

made my own at not such an extreme angle with the vice/torch. A little bend will do ya

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Or just buy a 17mm crows foot, a lot cheaper and does make the job easier!

The crows foot does seem just as easy and much cheaper.

What I'd like to see is a more precise (and quicker) way to get the cam lobes up. I have a hard time getting them right by bumping the starter and the fan makes getting a socket on the crankshaft bolt just about impossible.

I also bent my own wrenches as per lbpdz's post. For bumping the starter, I use a remote switch which is easier than using the ignition.

The crows foot does seem just as easy and much cheaper.

What I'd like to see is a more precise (and quicker) way to get the cam lobes up. I have a hard time getting them right by bumping the starter and the fan makes getting a socket on the crankshaft bolt just about impossible.

You can put the car in gear and rock it back and forth to line-up the lobes where you want them. :beer:

I use a closed-end wrench to rotate the crank. Very Precise.

I have a thin wall deep well 1 1/16th socket that fits very snug over the crank bolt.

Bonzi Lon

I don't even try getting to the crank. I also just rock the car forward in fourth gear. It only takes 1.5 feet to move the entire motor through a cycle in fourth gear. Take the plugs out and it rolls pretty easy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.