IGNORED

would a 280zx be a good first car?

pistonsfan14

hey, i am planning on buying my first car over the summer and would like to know if a 280zx would be a good choice. my budget is $2k-$4k. if there is anything else you would like to know about me that would help you help me, then let me know.

Stick with the S30 bro. The ZX is essentially the same car as the first gen Z mechanicaly speaking just heavier, a bit slower and more complicated. The performance from what I hear are night and day. If you want a track racer/GT sports car get the first gen Z. If you happen to like the body style and something more of a "sports" cruiser then get the ZX. Just focus on finding a clean rust free Z in your budget no matter what you do and take some one mechanicaly inclined with you to look it over :).

Edited by WingZr0

You may want to chat with your insurance agent about rates for different types of car before pulling the trigger on any "sporty" car. Could have a big bearing on affordability for a new 16 year old driver.

To be blatently honest, the answer is NO. A nearly 30 year old or an over 30 year old car as WingZro suggests, would never be a good first car for a 16 year old. You'd either have to find one in 'perfect' condition, which would exceed your budget (drastically) or possess mad mechanical skills.

I quess before any of us could give you an honest answer, we'd need to know a few things about yourself.

Are you good with a wrench?

How many years experience do you have, mechanically?

Do you know 12 volt systems?

Are you Patient?

How deep are your pockets?

Do you know how to use the Search button?

Are you willing to take advice willingly? without argument.

80% of the people who respond on this site are well rounded, experience, patient Z car owners with 2 to 40 years of experience under their belt. Some of us even make a living doing nothing other than Zcar related business.

So answer a few questions, put it all out there. The more we know, the better we can help. I would never suggest a ZX as a first car unless it was in great shape, as mentioned above. Even 240Z's are more "Projects" than buy and drive cars.

FWIW

Dave

Stick with the S30 bro. The ZX is essentially the same car as the first gen Z mechanicaly speaking just heavier, a bit slower and more complicated. The performance from what I hear are night and day. If you want a track racer/GT sports car get the first gen Z. If you happen to like the body style and something more of a "sports" cruiser then get the ZX. Just focus on finding a clean rust free Z in your budget no matter what you do and take some one mechanicaly inclined with you to look it over :).

im just scared of the rust a z might carry :cry:

You may want to chat with your insurance agent about rates for different types of car before pulling the trigger on any "sporty" car. Could have a big bearing on affordability for a new 16 year old driver.

good point

To be blatently honest, the answer is NO. A nearly 30 year old or an over 30 year old car as WingZro suggests, would never be a good first car for a 16 year old. You'd either have to find one in 'perfect' condition, which would exceed your budget (drastically) or possess mad mechanical skills.

:cry:

im willing to give a lot of my time to the car. i am also taking a automotive services class at a local technical high school when august rolls around, so maybe that will help? i am not sure how in depth the course will be though.

I quess before any of us could give you an honest answer, we'd need to know a few things about yourself.

Are you good with a wrench? ive never worked on a car to find out

How many years experience do you have, mechanically? zero. the only things i have done were help my cousin do a oil change and rotate tires with my brother.

Do you know 12 volt systems? 12 volt systems? :ermm:

Are you Patient? yes

How deep are your pockets? i am currently broke, but i just got a job at a local grocery store last week. i plan on saving up most of my money towards my first car.

Do you know how to use the Search button? yes sir! i am not new to car forums and i know that the search button is my friend.

Are you willing to take advice willingly? without argument. yes sir.

80% of the people who respond on this site are well rounded, experience, patient Z car owners with 2 to 40 years of experience under their belt. Some of us even make a living doing nothing other than Zcar related business.

So answer a few questions, put it all out there. The more we know, the better we can help. I would never suggest a ZX as a first car unless it was in great shape, as mentioned above. Even 240Z's are more "Projects" than buy and drive cars.

FWIW

Dave

:beer:

Hate to say it...unless you grew up wrenching...you're better off with a Honda (think CRX...). Check insurance rates and be honest with yourself...

see what i said to the others? :ermm:

Edited by pistonsfan14

Yeah, I'd say no. The thing about a 30+ year old car is that as soon as you fix one thing (and it will cost time and money), something else will break (think of how much 30 year old rubber is on that car). I took mine in horrible running condition to my mechanic and basically wrote a blank check for the repairs, and even then, something is always going wrong with the car. Fortunately, I have it as a second car, so I get to tinker with it and work on it as my small budget allows. If it were my primary car, I would have to have sold it for a working car years ago several times. I do love the car, so I see the money as worth it, but as I said, it is a hobby until it runs well, not a means of transportation. Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if you could find a ZX that was in very good condition as far as being relatively rust free they are IMHO a very reliable car. The engine is extremely tough and reliable. The drive train goes forever. Most of these cars rotted away and the drive train pieces are still plentiful. Most of the ZX is fairly basic and I think its a good car to learn on. There is a ton of info, parts are relatively plentiful and inexpensive (relatively speaking of course). As far as a 25 year old car goes if its rust free its probably also in relativly (generally speaking of course) good mechanical condition.

My dad took all his vehicles in to get the oil changed - I have no mechanical background. I do have passion and an intrest in learning as much as I can about these cars so I'm learning the mechanics. My first car was an '81 280ZX I bought about 17 years ago. It was two cars made into one. In the eight years I had it (aside from rust issues) I had to replace the rear brake calipers/e-brake cable, pads and rotors, battery, master clutch cyliner and clutch and two sets of tires. For eight years of ownership I'd say that was fairly low maintainance.

The tough part is finding one that isn't rotted out. They do make good parts cars though ;)

I think if you could find a ZX that was in very good condition as far as being relatively rust free they are IMHO a very reliable car. The engine is extremely tough and reliable. The drive train goes forever. Most of these cars rotted away and the drive train pieces are still plentiful. Most of the ZX is fairly basic and I think its a good car to learn on. There is a ton of info, parts are relatively plentiful and inexpensive (relatively speaking of course). As far as a 25 year old car goes if its rust free its probably also in relativly (generally speaking of course) good mechanical condition.

My dad took all his vehicles in to get the oil changed - I have no mechanical background. I do have passion and an intrest in learning as much as I can about these cars so I'm learning the mechanics. My first car was an '81 280ZX I bought about 17 years ago. It was two cars made into one. In the eight years I had it (aside from rust issues) I had to replace the rear brake calipers/e-brake cable, pads and rotors, battery, master clutch cyliner and clutch and two sets of tires. For eight years of ownership I'd say that was fairly low maintainance.

The tough part is finding one that isn't rotted out. They do make good parts cars though ;)

i appreciate your input. :) i am on craigslist everyday looking to see if any new ads for a z or zx have been put up. there are a few 280zxs that look really nice. i think i am going to choose a zx simply because they fit into my budget and its easy to find one that seems to be in pretty good condition.

i appreciate your input. :) i am on craigslist everyday looking to see if any new ads for a z or zx have been put up. there are a few 280zxs that look really nice. i think i am going to choose a zx simply because they fit into my budget and its easy to find one that seems to be in pretty good condition.

Maybe in your part of the world but it took me 17 years to find the one I found for an affordable price in the condition its in. Rust free in the Pacific Northwest - good luck :) I did find 'er though.....

Good luck on your quest. I'm glad my first car was a 280ZX - try to find one a little less rusty than mine (although I did have 'er for eight years ;) )

Here's a cruddy phone pic of my new Rota wheels we were playing with....

attachment.php?attachmentid=35773&stc=1&d=1272335066

post-19940-14150810735156_thumb.jpg