IGNORED

Brackets for plug wire holders

dclamm

AND you have to have the part number...

But, also because many of us here find it important enough to patronize the sponsors of this site. Or am I missing something? :beer:

But that's just my 2¢

E

Then get the part number. On z31.com there is a parts fiche. You look up your part and put the number in at nissanparts.cc and get a great price. Or find the part with courtesynissan's diagrams. Isn't there an s30/130 parts fiche?

And I'm not going to buy overpriced parts from a company just because they advertise on the site. I'd rather save money on parts and donate it to the site.

I've yet to need anything from MSA that I can't find somewhere else for a better price. That's just my experience (mostly with z31 models) and not to say I don't appreciate MSA for what it is.

My 2¢ :beer:

I have BOTH the club Parts Microfiche CD and a true blue Micro-fiche set for the S30.

Even with that information and the time to make the calls to the dealers, sometimes the on-line sites, even AFTER their Shipping & Handling fees AND their "overprices", they are cheaper than the time and cost of gas of having to drive across town to the nearest Nissan Parts counter that will actually take the time to take the order and keep you informed as to when it arrives.

Other times, you have to go there; once, to order and pay for the part, and then again a few days later to get it, and thus being TWO trips. Add that in to your "savings" model.

You can value your time as you see fit, but some people love the convenience of the internet, e-Bay and other on-line stores. If they're willing to spend the "extra" money, as you and Arne would phrase it, that is their choice. That is after all what ALL stores do. They buy it else where cheaper and resell it at a higher price, it's called Capitalism. Try it backwards for a while and let us know how it goes.

That you have had the good luck of finding all your pieces for pricing other than at MSA, is your good fortune... NOW. Wait a few more years, and as your car ages and there are less and less vendors and NOS items available; as those of us with the older S30's have the "luxury" of enjoying; see if you don't wish there were a vendor willing to obtain the part for you.... even at a higher price.

Which is another reason to patronize the sponsors, so that they WILL be here in a few years when Nissan Dealers turn you away.

2¢

E

Fair enough, E. I just have it better than most.

1. My Nissan dealer is happy to order me whatever I ask for, whether I supply the part number or not.
  2. My dealer does not require me (as a known return customer) to pre-pay for my orders. I can phone or email my request and pay when I pick it up.
  3. My dealer just happens to be about 3 miles from my home, and directly on my normal work commute route. No side trips required for me to stop in on my way home.
  4. My dealer offers me a club discount on all parts, the price typically equals or betters the price from other online dealers like Courtesy or NissanParts.cc.
  5. No shipping charges unless I ask for next day delivery.
  6. No sales tax here in Oregon, so the lack of tax for online purchases is not an issue.

So, yeah, I've got it pretty good. Better than most, it sounds like. But with all the above being the case for me, why would I consider buying a Nissan factory part anywhere else?

I'm not saying people should not buy from MSA (or any vendor they prefer). But there are a whole lot of factory parts that are not available from non-Nissan dealers, yet many Z newbies don't even think about giving a Nissan dealer a try. It may not work for everyone as well as it works for me. But it might be worth a shot now and then.

Without making the call myself or at the current time (late at night) Does anyone know if Nissan or ANYONE had a rebuilt kit (diaphram) for the early Brake Booster (small one in the 11/71 240Z??

If this is an NLA part, does anyone have a spare small booster for sale, trade, gift?? I have almost no brakes till I fix this on a budget.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Zs-ondabrain, This may be common knowledge but I think I found an easy way (online) to see if a part is NLA from Nissan, if you have the part number. I took the PN for the one bracket I needed, punched it in on the search function on Courtesy Nissan website, and it came back saying it was NLA. I got this message for 22473-N3000:

"This part number is no longer available from Nissan North America nation-wide. It is still possible that one or more dealers have it in stock. Please contact us if you have questions!"

I'm assuming a Nissan dealer could do a locater search of other dealer's inventory to see if it's sitting on a shelf somewhere, but tells you they can't get it from a Nissan warehouse.

I don't have the fiche CD Rom yet, but have been able to find stuff on the XenonS30 online/PDF fiche, though it takes some time.

So if you have the PN for the booster rebuild kit, give it a try and it should tell if NLA from Nissan or not, and if is NLA, you'll have to look elsewhere. I haven't gotten through my MC rebuild yet so may find I also need a booster/rebuild in the near future, so would be interested in what you find.

Thanks, I know most of what you stated, I was just hoping that someone might know off the top of their head.

By the way, your 9/70 240Z is a 70'. The dealer may have licensed it as a 71' to mark up the price for a NEW model year Z but it is in fact a 70'. Much has been posted and discussed about the whole "What year is my Z" so the info is around here if you do a little searching or care to even look. On the books, a 70' is worth more than a 71'. Just a neighborly FYI.

Have a great week,

Dave

dclamm: FWIW... http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=22473-N3000

Some parts guys will go out of their way to help you. Or maybe they are just better at their job. A while back I was building a vg30et for my shiro. Nissan was having a problem with rod bearings being shipped loose packed and arriving at dealer parts departments scratched and scored. A local parts guy searched his data base and made some calls and found enough wrapped bearings at other dealerships. Some people are just more helpful than others.

BTW, I have a copy of Fast for Nissan and haven't found it very helpful for the s30.

Zs-ondabrain: I don't know if this thread will help you but it may:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/69706-reaction-disk-pictures-and-walkthrough/

Thanks Mikez73. Not sure why but had not heard about Nissanparts.cc before. I like to do as much of the research myself as I can, so another good resource (and will likely order that bracket from them). Know what you're saying about good and not so parts guys. I worked for a different Japanese importer in their national parts inventory group, we knew who the good parts guys were (in fact would sometimes try to recruit them to national). I need to find a good Nissan guy close by!

Zs-ondabrain, I tried to convince CA DMV it was a '70, but they would have none of it. Not sure if there is a formal process to request a title change for the year (haven't searched this site for it yet either, but will). Thought I might get a 1970 underhood emission sticker from MSA to prove it to them. My title says first sold xx/xx/1971, I told them that was not valid since not a real date.. they said show us the bill of sale with the right date (I don't have.. argh..). I think anyone who knows the early cars will go by production date anyway.. but still wish it was titled as a first year Z.. oh well

Edited by dclamm

Actually, in my experience a 9/70 build probably came with the 1971 emissions sticker, and was "officially" considered a '71 by Nissan USA. The split for those days was typically between Aug and Sept.

Edited by Arne

Well, I tried, sorry.

Hey Arne, what's your take on the whole small booster issue I'm having? POST #16

Dave

I've never looked for one for a '72. Both earlier and later seem available, but '72s???

Well, ordered the bracket and a few other things at nissanparts.cc. THANK YOU ALL for your input and discussion.

FWIW, this is what I ordered, they said these were available at a warehouse 4-10 days: large bracket for plug wire holder, small bracket, Fan Knob, Door lock pull, Radio Face Plate (was really suprised they had such a thing, I have the original antenna switch and it should mount right in, but no radio to fit of course). Having said I ordered it, see if they actually can come up with it!