IGNORED

Engine Strategies 1, 2, 3...

Davey G

As the paint and suspension work are finishing up I'm wishing to formulate some engine upgrade strategies, probably in phases. Since the 280Z is fuel injected I want some help with knowing how far I can go with it. Mr. Cerutti's 280 is on far far end on my thinking - computer programmed 280 ZXT, raced out, etc., so that might be consider Phase 4 with an EFI engine. That said, what would be Phase 1 with the stock engine? My inexperienced thinking says K&N intake, 6-into-1 headers, 2.5" exhaust, upgraded coil, advanced timing, basically bolt-on stuff. Phase 2 at rebuild time perhaps a cam, lighter flywheel. Thoughts?

Well first decide if you want a fuel injected or carburetted engine. If you wish to keep it injected you can retro fit with larger injectors and a larger mass air flow sensor. Pierce Manifolds in Goleta California is a good place to search for performance parts and technical advice. Also I would suggest giving Dave Rebello a call to see what he has to say. Remember though you can't have a race car for the street and vice versa. You can have a good performing car for the street though. Good Luck

I have owned twin SU Zs, a triple Weber Z and many FI Zs. I will say that the L-Jetronic FI is great for stock engines, but doesn't like mods much at all. I tried to add a mild cam to my 10:1 '78 and it simply ran like crap. There isn't enough vacuum to keep the FI system happy. I went back to the stock cam and now own a $500 paperweight with the cam, rockers, springs, and lash pads. If you like the idea of FI, do the research and consider Mega Squirt or another stand alone system like an Electamotive Tec III, SDS, etc. Triple carbs are really cool and sound fantastic, but a MS system is better and cheaper most of the time.

I will say that the L-Jetronic FI is great for stock engines, but doesn't like mods much at all.

I want good street performance, not a track car.

1) The car is bone stock right now with the exception of removing the front muffler, having only a rear glasspack. So, what mods are possible with a stock EFI setup (if any), and where would I start to get into problems?

2) What would a Megasquirt upgrade involve beside the new fuel rail, what would I gain power-wise, and what would the cost be?

Thanks for the help.

Davey G

Edited by Davey G

Thing about Mega Squirt (MS) is that there is no set price, you just add what ever features and componets you want so it can be either cheap or expensive and theoretically you can make as much horse power as you want. Basically your building your own EMS :) . With that you can add what ever cam, injectors you want and control what ever you want and tell it when and what to do what you want programming it with your laptop. On hybrid Z theres tons of write ups and a thousand different ways you can do this. I suggest you visit MegaSquirt.com to see their different kinds of offerings and get a idea of price, what might work for you and how far your willing to go.

Edited by WingZr0

Start as you say with the basics first. Get the Cold Air intake from MSA and aluminum radiator and electric fan. The fan will get you off the pulley system and free more horse power for the engine to use. The intake will give you super fast and quick engine response such as my 280Z. Next look into stuff like Nismo or Kaminari adjustable cam gears. Lighter flywheels, higher flowing oil pump, Bigger AFM and Coil to name a few. If you want the most out of your "stock" engine then you have to think like a drag racer. That means anything that moves or rotates your want lighter versions of. That means aluminum drive shaft, LSD, lighter rims, tires and so forth. Same for body panels, fiberglass hood and fenders. The lighter your car is the quicker it will be, and thats all with basic bolt ons :). Spring for Wilwood brakes cause no since in going fast if you can't stop. An old muscle car rule is for every 100 pounds you loose you shave a tenth (0.10) of a second off your quarter mile times :). Think TOTAL TUNING ~Z~

Edited by WingZr0