IGNORED

76 280z starts but dies after 30 seconds

Baki 280z

I also go a new fuel pump installed , I'll try pressure regulator first if that not working I'll install new fuel lines ,, got to have it running
Before you do any of that, check your fuel pressure. Place a guage between the fuel filter and the fuel rail. If the pressure is normal at first and then drops gradually until the engine dies. That will indicate sediment/crud in the fuel system caused by sitting as I stated earlier. If not, with that ruled out, we can move on to the next step. Or, you could just keep throwing parts at it......

I agree throwing parts at it isn't a good way to troubleshoot. even if it suddenly works, you won't know why. I would start back to front...

if you have a way to feed fuel in to the fuel pump, bypassing the tank, see if it still stalls. perhaps verify the fuel pump is even pumping fuel (sound can be decieving for that part). Be sure to take off any watches and such. I soaked my watch once in gasoline... not intentionally

Ummm... the fuel filter is on the right way around, correct? (I hate to ask, but it's easy to check)

I got pissed and I removed the fuel tank and took it for washing it was dirty as hell and plus ,,, return fuel line was clogged up nothing would go trough so that might be main reason why it would work for little bit and than die , too much pressure , hopefully im gonna get my tank tomorrow so i can install it and drive it .... I let you guy know soon

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back i was busy driving my new 280z after so much trouble it gave me , running strong puling even better :) ,,, after washing my tank cleaning fuel lines new injectors ,fuel pump , fuel regulator ,filters ,hoses ,water pump (broke on me while i was driving) , still couldn't make it run wouldn't stay on so i had to replace mass air flow sensor witch it was $400 brand new so its working now and im happy ,,,, 280z is so much fun to ride i love it ill post some pictures soon but in the mid time if anybody have any question ill be glad to help if i can ,,, zzzeee yaaa

It might have been the fuel pump switch in the AFM. When you turn the key to Start it is bypassed and the fuel pump is powered to start the car. When you let go of the key and it goes back to On, power to the fuel pump is supplied by the fuel pump switch in the AFM, which is allowed to close when the flapper opens in the AFM. If the contacts get dirty the power is not supplied and the car dies.

It happened to me, with a new AFM. The car would start then die after about ten seconds unless I hit Start real quick (painful grinding noise) to energize the pump again and get the fuel pressure up. I had to clean the contacts to fix it.

This was after I drove the car home with my fuel pump powered from my defroster circuit. Luckily I had enough wire to reach through the hatch and under the car.

Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, you could have checked it out. But you were already pulling your gas tank, by the time I got here.