IGNORED

Let's Paint it Yellow

motorman7

Hey Rich!

On those doglegs, I would recommend you cut out the entire panel and put in a new one versus brazing and grinding down. There's bound to be more rust behind there that isn't through yet. Don't want you to go to all the work of painting the car to have new bubbles form a year or so later. In fact, they might even form sooner when they wet sand down the car.

Try tabco for the replacement dog legs. Not very expensive and well worth not having to worry later.

Bob

My painter insisted we change the doglegs "just to be sure". We used the ones from Black Dragon and he was very satisfied with the fit. They were about $54 each. It took about an hour on each side to remove and replace. You can see in the picture of one the amount of underseal that had been in place but you can see to the surface rust around the edges. There was no signs of rust on the outside however.

post-17702-14150810429398_thumb.jpg

post-17702-14150810429689_thumb.jpg

post-17702-14150810429997_thumb.jpg

Boy, this is slow going. Hours and hours of sanding. It's not bad, but it seems the more I work on this, the more I find stuff I don't like. There are quite a few dents on the underside of the panels where the PO placed the jack to change tires. Didn't catch those earlier.

I ended up replacing a section of the passenger side dogleg. Fortunately the PO also gave me the Tabco panels that he had puchased for the car, both right and left side. The drivers side was pretty clean. The passengers side was pretty bad. Again, worse than I had expected. My son helped out with sanding the engine bay while I tended to the doglegs and the jack dents.

I have most of the body dings fixed, but have not even started cleaning up the door jams and hatch are. That will be a chore. So, looks like I will miss my April 3 date to Maaco. Now shooting for the April 10. I opted to use the all metal body filler versus the regular bondo. Its pretty nice to work with and seems to dry harder.

Thanks for the input guys,

Rich

post-19125-14150810451545_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810452276_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810452862_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810453471_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810454039_thumb.jpg

Thought i might find a thread on this! :) Glad to see you were talked out of the green, i gotta agree, i think it will look sharp in yellow. Hope your enjoyin the work, there is a hell of a lot of it while your in the process, but lookin back it was a lot of fun. Good pick on the rust protectant, I used POR all over the car. Like 4 cans!

Well, as my father would say to me "Details, details, details." Take your time. Clear coat shows everything!

Hope to catch up with you soon, cool pics!

Frankie

Boy, this is slow going. Hours and hours of sanding. It's not bad, but it seems the more I work on this, the more I find stuff I don't like.

Looks like your making good progress Rich, the car is looking great so far, all day long i get "those" people who think its a walk in the park to paint a car...its not as easy as it looks..

Dont put the car off till the 24th , I wont be here that Saturday! ;)

Lance

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got it off to the paint shop. I spent most of Thursday evening sanding; then most of Friday nite till 11PM....sanding. And then up again early today.....to sand some more before finally taking it to Lance's Maaco in OC. All the sanding was not complete, so I we figured some hours into the paint estimate to cover additional work that was needed. My next two weekends are booked, so it was now or a long while from now. Also, I felt it was time to let the professionals take over.

I want mention here, that not all Maaco's are equal . The one 3 blocks from my house was very business like (not so friendly) and somewhat pricey. The Maaco "Signature" paint job was $100 more by my house and the cost to paint the engine bay and door jams was way pricey. By comparison, Lance's shop was much more friendly and much more reasonably priced. It was well worth the 70 mile trip. I will take my '73 up there when it's time to paint that one.

I was in such a rush this AM to get to the shop that I forgot to take pics, so all I have is pics I took from a couple days ago. i will definitely take pics when I bring it back.

Taking out the windshield was a piece of cake. I cut the rubber gasket as discussed earlier here. The front one leaked and the rear was curling so they needed replacement anyway.

I decided on a "corvette yellow" at the shop (samll color swatches), but later today went looking at yellow cars and decided I liked the Camaro "Rally Yellow" instead. Actually it is more my sons choice as he will eventually get the car. I will call Lance Monday AM and get the color changed to "Rally Yellow"

So, I am glad that part is over. It's really a relief to have the car out of my 'dusty' garage and at the paint shop. I am looking forward to the new color and of course the assembly process.

Rich

post-19125-14150810585636_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810586324_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810586919_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150810587508_thumb.jpg

Next we wet sand the car and buff it out to make it more glossy :cool:

The fun part is going to be reassembly, watching it turn back into a

complete running vehicle ( least thats the part i like the best )

Checking reflection with an old gum wrapper off the ground.

letspaintityellow015.jpg

Quick shot after it rolled out of the booth..

letspaintityellow013.jpg

The fun part is going to be reassembly, watching it turn back into a

complete running vehicle ( least thats the part i like the best )

I'm hoping I can pick it up on Friday afternoon. That would give me most of the weekend to start putting it back together. My wife is gone for the weekend at a health seminar, so I can burn the midnight oil on this one for a couple days.

Checking reflection with an old gum wrapper off the ground.

The white truck in the back ground looks nice as well. LOL

Thanks for all the work on this Lance...It'll look awesome with the Panasports.