IGNORED

Upgrade from stock

andrew22888

Ok guys I have a 1974 260z bought if for 250$. It needs some help with the suspension it's gonna be a daily driver. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a kit for a full suspension. Or if you guys could just give me a little bit of idea on what you did to your suspension. Basically what i'm asking is how can I make it ride pretty nice without totally breaking the bank and no cutting or welding. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Andrew, welcome to the fray. First off on your z witch is vary similar to my late '73. First off , struts. I went with KYB G-2 struts. They are firmer than OEM and give a great ride and also good handling. My opinion. I did opt for the Euro stage 1 springs that are somewhat stiffer. No longer available. Along with the above , I did lower the car by removing coils from the springs. I know you said no cutting, but by removing 1 1/2 coils from the front and one from the rears you will find the over handling is superior, from stock. This is with what you already have for springs. I kept the stock rubber bushings for two reasons. 1. noise the Polly transfer the road noise and gear noise to the cabin. 2. rubber doesn't squeak like the Polly and are not harsh in transferring vibration .

If you use SUs instead of the flat top carbs you will find that with not a great amount of money you will be vary happy with your Z.

Gary

Beandip sounds like you have a very good idea. I think i'm gonna try what you said. Sounds like exactly what I want. And just to update you on the deal I put a pair of webbers that i got for 130$ and linkage for 115$. And the car runs great. The only thing I need before suspension is new lug nuts (Rim fell off at 70 the other day). And a new set of rims and it will look great right now I only have 500$ in a running and driving z. And it has pleased me so far especially since i'm the second owner only 76,000 miles on it.

Watch those lug-nuts I had a set of old magnesium rims on a car the worked the lug-nuts louse I had to tighten them every 50 miles. If this is your case clean the oxidation off and recondition or get new rims, just be careful. If you want some ideas about how to make your more daily driver picks can help and some descriptions. I find a good set of struts and some new bushing does wonders. Also if your looking for new rim go to a 15" you will reduce tire cost and have a lot more choices of tires. Other things to look at is adding a second fuel filter near the tank and a simple camper adjusters they had one the mounted in place of the control arm bushing nice upgrade to keep tire wear down. I know you hate to hear it but the factory setting are probably best for a daily driver for the most part.

Would be glad to going down the highway (first drive since I got it running). And at about 65 or 70 the wheel simply popped off. Did not strip the lug nuts or anything. Just simply seen the rim and tire going beside me and sparks from one hole in floor board flying into my face. Then I went into the ditch. Luckly no body damage or anything was done. I just called my brother and he came with his wrecker and we took her home. And now I want to fix the suspension real walky in the rear end. And also am looking for a better set of rims. And am wishing they made a special unloosenable lug nut LOL. Any ideas on a cheap set of rims?

Would be glad to going down the highway (first drive since I got it running). And at about 65 or 70 the wheel simply popped off. Did not strip the lug nuts or anything. Just simply seen the rim and tire going beside me and sparks from one hole in floor board flying into my face. Then I went into the ditch. Luckly no body damage or anything was done. I just called my brother and he came with his wrecker and we took her home. And now I want to fix the suspension real walky in the rear end. And also am looking for a better set of rims. And am wishing they made a special unloosenable lug nut LOL. Any ideas on a cheap set of rims?

Scary I noticed a wobble the first time and only had one lug nut, you think the guy who sold me the car would say something about that (what a jack arse move he did).

For a rim go to a junk yard for some steel rims or Honda rims. You need a 1/4 wheel spacer for Honda rims. It should cost about $50-$100 that way to get new rims, and if your lucky new tires. Classic Datsun sells a rim that most people like, it is not my favorite though. http://www.classicdatsun.com/

I put Eibach springs, with KYB GR2 struts on my 73. I also went with poly bushings. The car is tight, as the new bushings removed all the slop that was in the steering from the worn out rubber bushings. It also handles great. It impresses the heck out of me every time I throw it into a corner. I don't like it, though. It has a buzzing vibration at speed that isn't bad, unless you drive it for over a couple of hours. It isn't my daily driver, but I like to take it on trips. I may switch the steering coupler, mustache bar and rear control arm bushings back to rubber to see if that helps, as I think that's where the vibrations are the most likely to be transmitted into the car.

I also don't like the drop in ride height. The Eibach springs drop it about an inch from stock, as do all new springs that you can buy today, except ArizonaZ's springs or coilover setups. It looks good lowered, and gives more stability at speed. It just causes it to bang the mud flaps on the speed bumps in my neighborhood, and you have to be careful when parking against curbs. I'd rather have that inch back, because my daily driver is a Tacoma with off-road suspension, and I am used to ground clearance. My Tacoma feels like a Caddy, compared to the 240, BTW. I put in all new strut mount insulators, but used stock 240 ones. I understand that you can use 280 insulators to get the inch of ride height back. If I ever take it apart again, I'll try that.

I'm not sure about the ride height on your 260z, though. Better do some research, unless you think you'll be happy with it slightly lowered.