IGNORED

Early wooden shift knob restoration

AZ-240z

I agree. But I have one of those new ones, and it looks so heavy and chunky-looking compared to the worn original that I actually have the new one in my sock drawer. I'd rather have my worn original than the new one. It's that bad (to me).

I've heard that from others. They say they even feel "fatter" than the original. Maybe this is from years of wear and drying of the wood.

Still can't believe I cracked my shift pattern insert. :stupid: It looked better than I did at 40.LOL

I've heard that from others. They say they even feel "fatter" than the original. Maybe this is from years of wear and drying of the wood.
Not wear or drying. The new ones are apparently not made by the same manufacturer' date=' that's my guess. Here are the differences:

[img']http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/data/3223/DSC01030.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

Edited by Arne

I apologize if my message wasn't clear. I was trying to say:

It's too bad the the shift knob currently available from Nissan new isn't a good match of the original. If it were a good match you guys wouldn't have to go through all of this trouble and expense.

I apologize if my message wasn't clear. I was trying to say:

It's too bad the the shift knob currently available from Nissan new isn't a good match of the original. If it were a good match you guys wouldn't have to go through all of this trouble and expense.

No apology necessary, at least for me, Mike. I knew what you meant, but, sometimes I feel a little self-conscious about being too much of a perfectionist, thus my little explanation for originality. And, yes, it would have been nice if Nissan could have a little more accurate remake.

Nice pictures, Arne. This will help me in getting the finish close to original.

Arne, is the color and wood graining pretty consistent around the entire knob?

Mine has some darker grain issues in a couple of places. I think I will use some sanding sealer before staining to get a lighter, more consistent coloration on the whole finish.

Dan

Arne, is the color and wood graining pretty consistent around the entire knob?
Pretty much, yes. One side may be a tad sun faded. I believe the part as pictured above is a fair representation.