IGNORED

Support your local tire shop... it pays off

Zedyone_kenobi

I am a long time autocrosser and Tire rack supporter. However, a new local tire shop, A Firestone opened up near me. So I brought the Z in for a new set of shoes, since mine were over 10 years old, and I just do not trust them. I installed a set of Bridgestone G019 grips. Not bad by any means, but not nearly sporty enough for my tastes. After talking with the owner he agreed to let me return them for something more sporty that would fit. All I have to pay is mounting and balancing (35 bucks). I cannot tell you how thrilled I am with the ability to talk and negotiate a deal that makes me happy. Its a little strange to get that kind of customer service. Tire rack may be 10% cheaper, (in my case it was a dead heat), but the service after the sale CAN ONLY be accomplished by a local shop.

I will be outfitting all three of my vehicles this year with new tires, and I will give this place my business for all of them.

What you say is true Arne, you should establish a good relationship with your tire shop, just like you would your butcher, your mailman, or your doctor. It pays dividends.

• Like 1

Back to the message of the thread, I agree kenobi on this one. I have a great realionship with the Manager of my local Discount Tire. Mike always gives me the best deal and uncompromised customer service. He knows my cars and he knows what I want in a tire when I arrive. Just today I got new shoes for my daughter's Sentra SE/R, he knew I wanted Yokohama's and that I am not a fan of the new S-drives that replaced the ES100. Why discontinue the ES100s?...I will never know but that is getting off subject. I knew right away to move to Bridgestone Potenzas which have a real nice tread and sidewall disign. $714 later which is only $20 than I paid for the ES100s 33,000 miles ago or 2 years ago. Not a bad day. The local Tire Guy is your friend.

Ultimately, I will agree. I have had many a bushing pressed in for free, picked up lug nuts and washers, cotter pins and several other small parts over the years by being "cool" to the folks at the tire shop. Every once in a while I will drop off a 18 pack or two at the end of the work day..

• 1 month later...

unfortunately finding a good tire shop can be like finding a good doctor. $600 later you find out one more shop to cross off the list. Cross threaded lug nuts or wheels scraped up or a hour and a half wait for the 30-40 minute install or wheels that are pretty close to ballanced.

I don't need them to sit on a slightly used set of tires for who knows how long, just don't mess everything else up.

I have had good luck with a Goodyear store near me. The manager knows that I have a tire sponsor and she is happy to M&B the Tire Rack Tires for me as long as I buy my 4Runner tires from her and I also have the 4Runner oil changed there. I could do it but for the time it takes to take off the rock guard and the splash pan $30.00 is well worth my time.

• 4 months later...
Just today I got new shoes for my daughter's Sentra SE/R, he knew I wanted Yokohama's and that I am not a fan of the new S-drives that replaced the ES100. Why discontinue the ES100s?...I will never know but that is getting off subject.

Just picked up a NEW set of Yokohama AVS ES100's 225-50-15's for $78 per tire!! They are still out there if you can find them. The Tire Kingdom had 5 near my hometown (they have 1 left at this point). If anybody is looking you better get them before they are all gone!! Getting them installed in the morning - I'm really fired up

Edited by Arne

Great tire at a great price Mitch. That's the same size I'm running. How many miles did you get out of yours before needing replacement?

Oh, just to keep this post on topic...

I will only purchase tires from a local dealer. The support from a tire shop far outweighs the price difference.