IGNORED

Rebuild L28 or Replace with V6 or V8

GarryJG

Hello All,

I’m looking for some advice about either replacing my engine, or rebuilding my engine. What’s going on is, my 78’, 280Z has the original engine with 200,000 miles and really never had any major engine work done. Recently, the vehicle will not pass smog because I have low compression in #6 cylinder. My mechanic (friend) replaced the timing chain, and replaced the top end because he told me that the valves where causing the low compression for #6 cylinder. However, after he changed the head, he told me that the #6 cylinder still has low compression. So much for good troubleshooting ? I still have low compression, and now the vehicle will not stay running because it’s flooding. My mechanic told me that he did nothing wrong and he’s not responsible for the flooding because it must be an electrical problem. Since then I have replaced the computer, AFM, throttle positioner, and one other item. Basically the car has been not running for two years now, and he will not open the top end to inspect the timing chain to ensure everything is okay.

Anyway, I am concerned about the age of the engine and was seriously thinking about replacing the engine with a either a V6, or a small block V8, or rebuilding the original engine. The question is which would be more cost efficient to due, replace the engine with a new V6 (as im not sure which engine was be a good fit)or V8, or rebuild the original engine. Also, I’m looking for a good mechanic to handle this for me, as I live in the Northern Cal in Solano County.

Any information would be appreciated.

Edited by GarryJG

Okay, so you've thrown a lot of parts into the car with no results. My first suggestion is to hide your wallet from yourself.

Second, forget who that mechanic is. Don't even drive on that street again. I don't care if you live on that street. Move if you have to.

Third make friends with the membership of ZONC. Ask them who they take their Z cars to and trailer the car to a reputable Z car mechanic.

I'm not certain where Solano County is, or what the smog rules there are like, but getting an engine swap past the smog police seems as if it might be more difficult and expensive than doing your existing L28 correctly. Just my 2¢...

Sounds like a block freshen up would do you. The head is done plus the other micsellaneous items. The total pain to machine a block and put rings and bearings in it, along with a crank, might not be all that extreme. There certainly ought to be Z shops in the area. We deal with a couple on our carbs..............

I hear good things about Z Car Garage in the Bay Area but haven't dealt with them myself. http://www.zcargarage.com/

Z Car Garage is reputable and good, but sometimes there can be a wait. I had a good experience with Datsonville in Burlingame, about 20 miles closer to you.

Have heard ther is a good Z shop in Sacramento, but I don't know the name. Try searchinng the archives and it might pop-up.

Okay, so you've thrown a lot of parts into the car with no results. My first suggestion is to hide your wallet from yourself.

Second, forget who that mechanic is. Don't even drive on that street again. I don't care if you live on that street. Move if you have to.

This is why I LOVE this place,sound sensible advice every time in every circumstance!ROFL