IGNORED

Stock mustache bar bushing flare

GreenZZZ

Got my front and rear control arm bushings installed (stock). Decided on stock mustache bar bushings. They are longer than I expected, but I figure after you press them in you have to flare the end somehow. Check the photo. Is this the right part ('72Z with an R200 swap). If its right, how do you press them in?

I used an grinder to take off the lip of the original bushing and then caved it in and drove it out with a chisel. Once you then driven the new one back in its place, you'll want to flare the lip back like the old one. You can hammer it into a lip or use a hacksaw and cut the bushing down to the Mustache Bar at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. Spray with some paint, done.

Edited by ZCurves

• 3 months later...

This is what I ended up with... The bushing has different resistance to motion depending on the voids. I ended up randomly putting them in but with the stiffer resistance left/right and the weaker resistance front back which is opposite from the original (obliterated) bushings. I imagine anything is better than what was there which was almost no resistance...

Edited by GreenZZZ
type-o

I apologize for not responding before noe GREEN. I used an acetlyne torch and just waited for them to disintergrate....only took a few moments and the mustache bar did not disfigure. To re-install I used a standard shop press and had no issues. Mine don't quite look like your though. I would probably re-install those if I were you. Most repair shops have presses if not a machine shop will. Good Luck

Mine don't quite look like your though. I would probably re-install those if I were you.

The bushings went in with a press, but I couldn't find anyone with the tool to flare the last 3/8" once pressed, so I followed ZCurves advice and slotted/whacked the collar to flare the end down. Then I sanded it with a dremmel. Paint is next.

I did not know the stock mustache bar bushings were still available. Did you get these from Nissan?

Nissan part bought from Motorsport (MSA/ZCarParts). There is another thread about gear whine/noise from using urethane bushings so I decided to go stock. Unlike the control arm bushings, the collar needs to be flared which is what I wanted to figure out here. The urethane bushings are real easy to install!

• 1 year later...

Steve,

I also had one of these made (in fact I think I had it done before Kevin). I have lent it out to one other member and am willing to do the same for you if it would help you out.

All I request is that you take care of postage / mailing costs and return it back to me as soon as you are done so it is available for other members when they need it.

Let me know.

Mike.

Mike,

so your installer is the same? If it is just let me know your paypal and I will send you money so you can ship it to me!!

I had just sent off a e-mail to Kevin, to ask to borrow his tool, but be glad to send you postage money and I will definitely send it back when I'm done.

Steve,

No Kevin did not do mine, although I do know him. I have had him do some work for me and he does great work, but unfortunately I did not know about Kevin and his shop when I was going through this. Through a long chain of events I got connected with a little shop in Austin called Scotty's Driveshaft and they made the tool for me. Not sure who made Kevin's for him.

In any case I will send you a PM and give you my contact detials so I can get this to you.

Mike.