IGNORED

Retro Sound Install

Zedyone_kenobi

I got it Wednesday jerbear. Thanks so much, you gave me FAR more than I could have ever used! I used the plate from retrosound. The ABS you were kind enough to send me was too thin. I tried to cut it with my dremel, but it vibrated a bit too much to get a smooth straight line.. however, I think if I use a sharp razor blade, I can make a USB plug holder that will look nice in my glove box next to my antenna switch. So I will definitely get some good use out of what you sent me. Thanks again!

• 7 months later...

Zedyone,

I am having a similar issue as you mentioned above (page 1 - 1/15/2010) ...... I have power into my power antenna toggle switch (not the factory switch ..... aftermarket radio) but no power out on either side (up or down). Before I replaced the power antenna I checked the switch and there was power out on both sides and at the antenna itself.

How did you resolve this?

thanks

Edited by colinc

• 6 years later...
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2010 at 5:39 AM, Zedyone_kenobi said:

I have to add a continuation to this.

Retrosound just sent me a VERY nice package in the mail. The included a new plastic front cover and they included a 70-73 datsun template. They also sent me newer control knobs that really look like they belong in a Datsun.

Kudos to great customer service

I know this is an old thread, but I too have found that the plate that came with the unit does not match up for a 240Z install. Did Retrosound actually send you a plate with real 240Z template? I've contacted them and they seem to know nothing about a 240z plate. I referred them to your post and they sound like it never happened.

• 2 weeks later...

The rest of the story is I had to make my own faceplate. Retrosound said they only ever had the plate that came with my stereo. Michael Robbins is no longer with Retrosound so it seems that the 240 vs 260-280 different faceplate knowledge has been lost at Retrosound. They did send a .pdf of a 240 faceplate, the angles were correct, but the size was a little small. Here's how it worked out.

stereo.jpg

On 9/25/2017 at 9:31 AM, Zedyone_kenobi said:

That looks good, I know how hard it is to get it just right. I have been toying with the idea of getting a label maker and seeing if I can duplicate the lettering of the original for things like volume or tone or balance or something. 

In my attempt to make the Retrosond radio faceplate in my 280Z look more OEM I failed at finding an engraver to place the lettering directly on the plate but did find an ID badge company that was willing to make 2 small nameplates that will mimic the effect. I copied the "Fasten Seat Belts" alert font (Arial) and had them engrave 3/16" silver letters on a very thin black badge (1.25" x 0.25") at a cost of $8.  The badges have adhesive backing and although they don't look absolutely perfect in the close up pic, I think they will look great once placed over the knobs on the faceplate considering the distance at which the radio lies from the driver and passenger.

I haven't installed them yet but heres a pic of the faceplate and the badges.

20170812_103125.jpg20170927_184020.jpg