IGNORED

**Wrecked**

austex

Yeah, now that the adjuster has gone to the collision shop and all that, I think I'm going to bring her home today. I've gotten set up with a rental car, so it's not a big deal anymore if "negotiations" drag on.

I've got receipts from everything I've ever done to the car, and I figure I'll take gnosez's advice about calling junk yards to see what they would pay for a totaled Z.

The only thing I'm kind of worried about is its "agreed value." I know the NADA average value is $6250, which mine would be (actually it should be a little higher than average), but lord knows the insurance company won't think that.

I had a 1957 Beetle, I was rear ended by a drunk driver.

Long story short, his insurance company gave me quotes from JC whitney for a my parts, came to about 400-$500 bucks!

If any body is familiar with Vintage bugs, just the deck lid alone can be $500 or more. I was in a daily shouting match, real shouting, on the phone, and basically had to tell adjusters that "they were not going to win".

In the end, I was able to get almost everything I was asking for.

I had to provide actuasl costs for vintage 50's VW parts, but it worked.

Please do like me, dont take any crap from the people.

The last thing I would do is take it to a junk yard! They will pay you about $500. You will do better by selling it to one of us on this list. I live here in Houston, we should have a Beer Meeting and just see what is 'Totaled'. I mean lets take that fender off and really look at the sub-frame. I know that for a little cash it can be put square again. Fenders and hoods are cheap and available. Don't look at all the damage in total, but rather in sections (ok Fender, Rad Support, Hood....). From the looks of your earlier picture, I am thinking that it could be pulled out. If not, I have already offered you the replacement sub-frame from 'ol-rusty'.

DO NOT give in to the Insurance Co. or the desire for a quick resolution. this can be recovered.

You have a choice. You own the car, not the Insurance Co. They'll give you $500 and then it will go to Pick-A-Part; then it will be another Z gone.

I say bullshh :angry:!

The last thing I would do is take it to a junk yard! They will pay you about $500
The purpose of calling a junkyard was to establish a 'buy-back' value not to actually sell it to them.
4) call at least two local junk-yards and get a quote on the scrap value of a totaled Z (use the average value - likely to be under $200.)

5) once the insurance company has seen your car remove everything that is aftermarket or hard to replace (an extreme measure should they take it away)

6) if they total your Z offer to buy it back (see number 4)

Edited by sblake01

Yeah, that's what I meant about calling the junkyards. I'd never remotely consider selling it to one.

It's in the process of being towed back to my house, so local Z owners can PM me if they want to come check it out sometime.

Edited by austex

Hey Austex, you probably found the same info on value that I found. When I had my Z appraised in late December, they went off of this site and put it in writing. Your certainly looked better than "average". Mine is only marginally better than average and the appraiser split the difference between average and excellent.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=1&f=5014&y=1974&m=1254&d=2212&c=7&vi=79044&z=83843&da=-1

It might be some leverage. And on the issue of leverage, my attorney friend said the way to get his resolved faster is persue the person that caused the accident instead of the insurance company. It is up to her to get it resolved and a disgruntled client carries more weight than a disgruntled 3rd party. By applying pressure to her, she will put pressure on her insurance company. He said if it were him, he'd call her every other day.

Your joking! I paid 2 grand for mine and that was before I even touched it. The newly rebuilt engine alone was $3,000 and with the clutch another 1,700. You should get at least 10K for yours. Be strong my brother :)

Edited by WingZr0

Okay, they offered me $2200. That includes the buyback price (only $86).

I'm about to fax some receipts and other documents to them. But I'm definitely not going for only $2200.

Egad! what a stab. Time to get your insurance involved. Claim "Classic Car" damage and you want the car replaced because you have countless hours in the restoration. If you can't pull it off you can file suit against the other driver in small claims court for the difference. I think if you bring it home you will give up the rental car. Tell the ins co your going to get a lawyer. good luck